• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Mandrel shaft

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
In amongst the goodies I picked up Friday were a couple of mandrels, unfortunately the shafts were slightly bent.
I've measured the shafts & they look to be 1/4", can anyone recommend a possible replacement, they don't need to be threaded as I will be using a mandrel saver.

photo_zpsba2d5574.jpg

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Trust you get what you are after if the stainless merchant can be visited by you I would take a couple of Brass tubes to the supplier and because sizes vary select a snug fit rod or two testing them as you go for round. I prefer stainless anyway.

Peter.

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
I think you'll find the shaft may be 6.2mm, very close but slightly smaller than 1/4". Bushes may not fit onto 1/4" so be carefull.

ZuluTiming

1/4" rod will not fit in the 7mm tubes. I've tried it.
The proper size, at least what I've read in IAP, is D size wire size or 6.2484mm.

Last edited:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Correct. Been there, done that, 1/4" don't fit.

Funny you should say that, me too.. Doug, you will need the D size as per Zulutiming above mate. Otherwise just get a replacement from Helen at funeturnz, she used do do them at one time or another.

TB ones don't sound to badly priced..

That's why the original early ones from axminster used to be the wring size as well, they used the 1/4 bar apparently ..

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
i bought some 1/4 rod and grind down slightly, it dosent take long and you can make the rod a bit longer so you can turn 2 sierras together if you wish.

I did that with mine and I agree it doesn't take that long and it works, but I wouldn't do it again, I would either buy the right size rod as above or buy one of the replacements that are available from several of the usual suppliers.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).