• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Tree of heaven

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I was a very happy lad last night when I won the wood prize draw at this months turning club meeting, this is my prize.

A 2" thick plank of Tree of Heaven, not a timber I`ve heard of before, looks very similar to Ash & from a google search it looks to be a pretty invasive tree that grows like a weed.
This is a fairly green plank but it will be interesting to see what it turns like at a later date.:nooidea:

Jim

Grand Master
Never heard of it myself Doug, but by gum lad it has some great looking grain in it .. :thumbs:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I have a big chunk hip just like it Doug..

It's very plain that's why I put a knot in it.

I have had mine quite a few years and it's well dried out. But not impressive..

No I doubt it will win any awards for its beauty, it looks to have large growth rings & is as you say Eamonn plain.

It obviously never made an impact when I posted it..:thinks:

I wouldn`t say that, it looks an excellent pen, but as I cant even remember what I had for breakfast I`m hardly gonna remember a pen from nearly 2 weeks ago, however good. :banghead::duh:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well done Doug hope it turns out OK for you on a platter the grain will show a lot more than on a pen

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Well done Doug. The beauty of this turning malarkey is that we can all speculate what it'll turn out like but we don't know and its not till the final bit of polish has been added, no matter what you decide to turn, we'll know what it will look like. I look forward to the photos.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Very nice little win there Doug, I know whatever you turn it into will be a stunner.
Enjoy.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).