• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

simple platter..

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Had a request to do a simple but "specific" shaped platter.

In Oak, just polished with friction polish.

Just under 10" (250mm new money) in diameter. turned on dovetail chuck jaws then flipped around and finished off in button jaws.

CC welcome..

Attachments

• platter-01.JPG
    platter-01.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 47
  • platter-02.JPG
    platter-02.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 44

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
That is very nice Eamonn beautifully made and finished I love oak items but hate turning it

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated.:goesred:

That is very nice Eamonn beautifully made and finished I love oak items but hate turning it

I agree, hate turning it as it's just so messy.

A very nice platter indeed. Oak can look very nice when the grain is filled with liming wax !!!!!

I have done that before Terry, must admit it does bring the pattern out. I have got some burnt sienna as well to try on one of my "play" times..

The grain is quite nice on this piece, great reflections when spinning by hand.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Now isn't that lovely !

So simple but equally so effective for being so, if you get my drift.

Somebody is going to be well pleased with that.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Very nice Eamonn, very nice indeed.
I am not a lover of liming wax, too shabby chic /old fashioned for my liking, a simple polish or oils is enough to bring out the grain of oak, and you have done that well.
I like this platterbowl very much.

Paul

Fellow
I like that very much, when you say messy do you mean little bits fly off all the time?

Jim

Grand Master
Very nice Eamonn, Oak really does look nice when finished as good as this platter is .. Simple but very effective .. :bwink:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Very nice Eamonn, simple is sometimes effective and this is one of those times. Very nice indeed.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).