• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Earring carousel

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Fresh of the lathe today the top is 6" and the base is 4" spindle 4" finial 3" the top spins on a small bearing that is buried in the top and covered by the spindle and it will hold 12Pr of earrings butterfly's go in the tray and finger rings on the finial made with spalted sycamore and has a polish finish enjoy I have more photos of how I done it if anyone is interested
The base is a bit small but that was all the spalted sycamore I had so that is what we are stuck with LOL the silly thing is I have no use for it I just wanted to make another one but I;m sure some female visitor will pinch it soon

DSCF2206.JPGDSCF2207.JPG

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
You know I have seen something that looks remarkably similar on Facebook !!!!
Love it Woody but I don't believe you when you say you have no use for it because Vi was showing me YOUR earring collection !!!! LOL:funny:

Jim

Grand Master
You never cease to amaze us Woody, another great piece from you my friend, it is clear to see the great finish on it also .. :bwink:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
You know I have seen something that looks remarkably similar on Facebook !!!!
Love it Woody but I don't believe you when you say you have no use for it because Vi was showing me YOUR earring collection !!!! LOL:funny:

Now you have gone and let the cat out of the bag still its not as bad as your collection of high heal shoes :face:: face:and frilly knickers :banana::banana:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Now that's another stunner Granddad woody.. superb piece as usual, turned to perfection and the idea is superb.

As I have said before, it only inspires us young ones to emulate your work. Exceptional mate..:thumbs:

But I might have to see the shrink again now as per David, I think I will have troubles sleeping tonight.. :rolling::rolling:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Now that's another stunner Granddad woody.. superb piece as usual, turned to perfection and the idea is superb.

As I have said before, it only inspires us young ones to emulate your work. Exceptional mate..:thumbs:

But I might have to see the shrink again now as per David, I think I will have troubles sleeping tonight.. :rolling::rolling:

Do you want Terry to come round in his high heals and silk knickers and tuck you in he may even sing you a lullaby :funny::funny::funny::funny:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
How I done it first if you remember I brung the wood indoors about 2 weeks ago to completely dry out so that none of the joints dried and shrunk after fitting the bearing.
I mounted the base on a screw chuck and turned the outside with a 35mm donetail recess and polished it then remounted it to remove the inside and drill a 9mm hole in the middle and polished it
1.JPG2.JPG

Then mount the top again on a screw chuck this time turn the outside with a spigot to fit your chuck jaws the smaller the better and drill a 9mm hole in the middle for the finial then using the indexing facility drill 24 3mm holes all the way round then sand and polish the finished part
3.JPG3.JPG
Now turn it and remount it in your chosen jaws to work the inside and make a tight fitting hole for your bearing
5.JPG6.JPG
I dont think it will take another photo so I will continue in the next post

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Bearing fitted now to turn it around again to remove the spigot I used button jaws but there are other ways like putting a wad of paper towling over your chuck and bring the tailstock into play so remove spigot and sand and polish
7.JPG
I forgot to take photos of the spindle and the finial spindle 4" x 1 1/4" wide to cover the bearing plus a bit extra for a spigot on each end one to fit the bearing and one 9mm to fit into the base the finial 3" plus a bit for the spigot to fit in the top gripped in the jaws of my chuck and turned with no tailstock support but that shouldn't be a problem for you guys if it is I will redo them tomorrow for you
8.JPGDSCF2205.JPG

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).