• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Zebrano bowl

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
6 inch diameter x 1 3/4 high, friction polish finish.

Playing with the Sorby Multi tip to try some undercutting. Am reasonably happy for a first attempt.

SAM_2872.JPG

SAM_2871.JPG

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Phill take into account your relatively new to turning now trying a new discipline and on Zebrano not the easiest wood to work and finish I think you have done bloody marvellous you should be well proud of that one nice form well worked with an excellent finish to boot come on man what more could you wish for

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Well with your new purchase and turning out two nice bowls today you should feel proud of it.

A really nice bit of turning on this bowl Phil, well done. :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Super bowl Phil, I like it a lot, lovely shape and finish.

Jim

Grand Master
Very nice Phill, you done a good job on the Zebrano knowing how the wood can tear .. Well shaped and finished my friend .. Good to see you are coming to grips with the Sorby tool also .. :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Phil sure agree with the mob furry , strong end grained messy material handled like a pro mate beautiful workmanship and display.

Peter.:iknow::phew::waver:

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
I am actually, something satisfying about producing an object that can be used and is (hopefully) decorative.

Just need a bigger lathe now :funny::funny:

Everyone said this would happen and they were right.

Yep, we were, experience we went through :funny::funny::funny:
From a small Axminster lathe to a Record CL3 then upgraded to a CL4 - just finished some 12 & 15 inch bowls and large vase - you think what you're doing now is scary :funny::funny:
Best thing tho - the blanks cost me about a tenner each and sell for around £40 - £50 and everybody has to touch them, great stuff.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
The bigger stuff is what attracts me for sure. I have a huge lump of Sycamore that Doug gave me (nice man) to make a fruit bowl for SWMBO, will have to try and beg a day with Woody though to make the darned thing :funny:

Hopefully this years sales commission will cover the lathe upgrade, unless SWMBO has other designs on it :whistling:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
You know your always welcome here mate, bigger lathe ay well I wonder how many turners have had that dilemma in the past LOL and I bet they are all sitting there rather smug thinking
I TOLD YOU SO :rolling::thumbs::thumbs:

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
The bigger stuff is what attracts me for sure. I have a huge lump of Sycamore that Doug gave me (nice man) to make a fruit bowl for SWMBO, will have to try and beg a day with Woody though to make the darned thing :funny:

Hopefully this years sales commission will cover the lathe upgrade, unless SWMBO has other designs on it :whistling:

Yep, been there done that only I sold my best Bass guitar to buy the CL3 :funny::funny::funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).