• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

New user be gentle

Petebigmatch

Apprentice Member
Hi there new to all of this so have a few questions

First any advice on a cheap preasure pot setup,I reckon about a 10 litre pot

What resin to use to fill the holes on a banksia nut/pot

I will need to ba able to machine the blank after casting,will be using linisher/sander
and router

null_zps82ec656e.jpg

This is what I hope to end up with

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Welcome to the forum Pete, Carling don't do forums but if they did.... :funny::funny:

Rowdy is the man on here for casting.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Welcome Pete........can't help with the pressure pot , Rowdy and one or two others delve in that sort of sorcery and will be able to answer you questions once the pub landlord has chucked them out.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Welcome to the forums. Have a look at ebay for the bits you need.
I would suggest you experiment with both vacuum and pressure Ie negative and positive pressure to find the most suitable for your application and materials.
There are differing schools of thought as to which is best or better for various materials.
A paint pressure pot is what is commonly used and a small compressor, adapted to make the inlet the vacuum or negative side.
Depending on your budget you could go for separate vacuum pump and air compressor to work with the pot.
search the forums for "casting" there have been a few posts about methods, practices and suppliers etc.
Good luck and be sure to show us how you get on.

Jim

Grand Master
Hello Peter, welcome to the forums ..

As Brian says, you can go for either vacuum or pressure to stabilise the blanks each will do a job.. I got a pressure pot off ebay a while ago, mainly to remove the air bubbles when making my own blanks, i later found out that i could get good results without using it .. :thumbs:

Petebigmatch

Apprentice Member
Many thanks for the very warm welcome from you all,I think I will have a go without the preasure pot to start off with
Which resin would you advise on for use with the banksia pod/nut ,as I said in my first post
,I will need to machine when it has been filled with a clear casting with colours and metal powders
Any advice will be welcome
Cheers
Pete

Jim

Grand Master
Water clear resin will be fine peter, especially if you are using colourants with the resin .. :thumbs:

Petebigmatch

Apprentice Member
Will it stand up to being routered and sanded in terms of heat from cutters and linishing/sanding
Also can you recommend a good brand to use

Jim

Grand Master
Will it stand up to being routered and sanded in terms of heat from cutters and linishing/sanding
Also can you recommend a good brand to use

I get mine from here Here!! :thumbs:

And yet it will hold up to the work that is needed to finish it off .. :winking:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).