• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Angelo

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Did not want to swamp your Clausing Lathe segment but repeating a pic of my 1960,s Hercus Lathe that will have to go one day in my downsizing or fade out. It was made in 1967 and as the detailed history of Clausing on the net stated that firm started with the American version of one in their workshop so long ago.

Like you I have many attachments etc and on the lathe table is a mod I made that fits where the tool rest goes using a Dremel to cut off tool steel, cut grooves etc etc.

One day I will take pics of the bits, love these old lathes to bits.

I stress this pic on a clean day.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• Test Photos with Digital Camera 030 croped.jpg
    Test Photos with Digital Camera 030 croped.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Hercus and Dremel 6-27-2008 11-46-043.JPG
    Hercus and Dremel 6-27-2008 11-46-043.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 68

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
It looks a monster of a lathe Peter, I bet it took some operating but gave some fantastic results too.

angelo49

Registered
First Name
Angelo
Peter,
That's a beaut.Looks well kept.
Ashamed that you will have to let it go.
You sure you can't find a place for it.
If we were closer I would "hold it" for you.
I made something to hold a dremel, but no where as nice as yours.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Angelo,

There might be a truck body joint somewhere near you but the basis of that thing is an aluminium extrusion made for holding truck body tail gates using swivel pins in that extrusion nearly the size of a Dremel I found it invaluable for fitting circlips on shafts to hold washer then bearings in place to move gear around the workshop those larger black cutting disks cut tool steel like butter. My greatest fear is of a sudden departure and Wilma will dispose of things for the price I told her I paid, gave away two welders to mates last week one a Lincoln generator type three phase and another heavy conventional stick welder, that same week had to build a framing roof in 30mm square tube any way used self drilling heavy screws and end caps all round where theres a will there is a way, worry also with the lathe the extras far exceed the value of the lathe bit like my Mill Drill will try to hang onto the two of them for a while I have an engine hoist with a long hydrolic ram that folds up to a small platform so I can still remove and take out now we have nearly 60 yrs of combined hoarding treasures that must go tons literally of timber etc. Steptoe and son must have taken their inspiration from me. If the good lord spares me a bit longer I hope to beat the rush out. The post number is the year of my birth.

Peter.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Before and now the Trestle is about 15 ft tall so I cut the top off and fitted a roof cover Autumn is here and my Carnivorous plants need to winter over when they die back and rely on frosts to kickstart in the spring. The trestle rungs are too far apart for me now so best use wins. Used truck body flooring. I access the Workshop in the yard from here so with my fishpond on the left and renewed interest in these plants on the right combining three interests works for me.

Attachments

• DSCF0018.JPG
    DSCF0018.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 58

angelo49

Registered
First Name
Angelo
Your like me, always finding a way to use some bit other than what it was intended for.
And your right, when we go all our 'stuff' will end up who knows where.
You have to see the things that I pick up at garage sales. Poor guy would kick the bucket again
if he knew what was happening to his things.
I'll be 65 in June. Got the first heart attack 12 years ago, working on #4 now.
Going thru one of the coldest winters ever here. Supposed to get 4" to 6" snow tonight.
Snow sitting out here for about a month now. Never melted.
Oh well, enjoy it while we can.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Angelo also on the waiting list as you indicated Ill sit this out for a while the attack ie just took Wilma in for surgery up at 4.30 am they opened up around 6 am the clock in time op around 10 am to remove the post (a device fitted to the main neck vein to assist chemo) she is knitting, waiting now I am home animals fed time for a kip. Myself a garage sale addict from way back they have been kind to me regard my trailer as my right arm extension. The longest heavy items were several 20 ft lengths of 10 by 4 inch Oregon sticks of wood on the 6 by 4 ft trailer the widest heavy heavy load three sheets of top packing sheets of laminated both side 30 mm thick 12 ft by 8 ft sheets from 30 km away. A ton of Olive Wood from a disused Olive Grove of 80 yrs from 200 miles away.

The Hercus Lathe was a two year wait from where I worked at the time moved it from the location bed, tail stock etc cabinet and the hydrolic engine hoist all on the trailer on my own I borrowed the hoist when I left that place of work bought my own hoist it has been wonderful. The lathe had been used seldom from new only for wood in a wood workshop at a major University.There were scattered through the campuses maybe thirty of different models up to the Craftsman since they dont take up much room this one is what they call an A Model been thinking there is no way when it goes the extras go with it at the same price, angle boring attachment, milling attacment and vice, Indexing head, full set of collets, full set of metric gears, faceplates, steady, many tool holders various kinds,
numerous chucks. I bought three other lathes over time to get oversize chucks etc then onsold. Bought it about 18 yrs ago. They were the lathes used in all schools as well.

Glad it only snows in town here every several yrs briefly however the snow from nearby mountains gives us a high windchill factor in the winter. Trust the spring thaw opens up to a pleasant summer we had a moth of over 30 degrees celcius this last summer.:waver:

Take care mate.

Kind regards Peter.

angelo49

Registered
First Name
Angelo
Peter, I hope she's doing OK.
Well, the snow was a bust, only got a light dusting.
The weatherman was right again. He did say 'a 50% chance of snow.' Boy, they're always right. (LOL)
Going down to -2F tonight. I have oil heat here. Just got 234gals. @ $3.73 /gal. Third time since Nov.
I was in the heavy const. business with my father and younger brother. Most of the load was on me so
after the ticker problem in '02 I was forced by the docs to retire. Then my father got sick. We decided to fold and sold
properties and all our equipment we had in Newark NJ and Coney Island in Brooklyn
That took about a year. We had tons of stainless, brass, copper and aluminum. Plus about 100 tons of steel,
mostly large beams. My father used to go to auctions and buy anything he could. Most of the time he didn't even
know what he bought, "but it was cheap" he used to say. We had a 30ton crane, 15ton cherry picker with 65' boom,
fork lifts, skid steers, and freakin welders all over the place. TIG and MIG welders. A 14'wide press brake from the 1940's The ram on this thing was over 7tons.
At one auction he bought 8 400amp Hobart welders for like $70 apiece.
Problem was they were 220volt single phase..... welded smooth as hell but the elec. bill had some weight to it.
I even had an old Carrol Jameson lathe from th 1930's 16" swing / 8' bed, quick change and taper attachment.
We had the properties sold and the buyers wanted to take ov so in the end we scrapped quite a bit of stuff.
We were pretty pissed at the time but looking back now it's all water under the bridge.
Be well.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Just brought SWMBO home doing well thank the good Lord. Peace and harmony restored at our house. Hope to get pen chasing on the morrow.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Thanks the after pain has eased this morning and her usual cheerful self appreciate the concern andlove offered it makes a difference to us both.

Kind regards to everyone. Peter and Wilma.:iknow:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).