• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

log part 2

alisboy

Hi All

One or two asked how it worked so here are a couple of pictures sorry got no full length logs to show being cut. The cross beams that the sits on can move to suit the size of wood, plus the way its made allows you to cut up the length of the wood and my picture shows 1 of the half logs that were cut.

Also here is the link (i hope) to the guy in America where i got the idea from. #17 Bowls from Logs Part 1 Cutting Blanks from Logs - YouTube

Ernie

Attachments

• bench and log2.JPG
    bench and log2.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 135
  • Bench and log.JPG
    Bench and log.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 134

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Ernie there are great scenes in the video lots of philosophy about the best time to be told to pith off the centres right away and I keep forgetting the way the front teeth hold logs while being cut on the chainsaw bit concerned by the uppercut looked a bit suss to me.

Thanks again mate.

Peter.:thumbs:

alisboy

Hi All
Thanks for looking it does work for me.
And yes Peter I think you are right about the upper cut I tried the upper cut once and the saw feels like it is operating in the wrong direction, then I cut through the bottom very slowly and because of the way it was held it just sat together and was no problem.

Ernie

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Bless Americans for their courage to make videos another example of help personified, some scary oh&s stuff having a device like a chain saw that although running, not turning seems to give to me false confidence brushing away stray stuff alongside a chain can result in awful stray cuts also dismissing the safety clothing a mistake. So having taken the great, good learned from the scary familiarity thanks again for the heads up mate.

Peter.:thumbs:

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Hi Ernie, yes I could see what you meant with the first pics, I have two bits of I beam I use to similar effect. They were to be used as a basis for a boat mooring but I got them. Wonder how far down the mull you are? Although I live in North Yorkshire I have an old caravan up at Inveraray so head up that way as often as I can. You should have a whistle on that life jacket as well Ernie to summon sea dogs.:whistling:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).