• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hi from Heighington

Goulss

Registered
First Name
Stewart
Hello everyone, my name is Stewart and I am a rotationalwoodengineeraholic! Thanks for letting me join your site (and what a site it is)

Been spinning wood for quite a while now, I have my man cave down the garden and my beloved Hegner along with other bits of associated machinery/toys/whim purchases.

I have put a couple of pictures on of my latest piece, a 6 inch high earring holder with a box in the bottom, done for a friend for his daughter in America.

Now I have retired I have been looking to enhance my skills and whilst I have made a few wooden pens in the past, I have never tried Acrylic, so thought why not give it a go, last week I went to the Axminster Nuneaton 10 Turners thingy, and had a long chat with Trevor who helped me no end, so bought some blanks and will give it a go. I will let you know how I get on! Though any tips would of course be gratefully received.

I have bought some bullet pen kits as my other hobby is airgun shooting and the guys at the club have been pestering me for them, again will put up some piccies when I have done them.

Well that's it for now, I am so I have a million questions but can't think of them at the moment.

PS, no idea why the piccies are upside down, they are right way up on my computer!

earring_holder.jpg

woodturned_earring_holder.jpg

Paul

Fellow
Welcome to the forum. Lovely piece of work there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Welcome Stuart, to what is a very friendly and helpful forum. Lovely piece of turning you have there sir.

Cheers

Brody :thumbs:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Lovely piece, Stewart. Gotta tell you though, that it was scary hanging from the ceiling looking at it.

If you are free on Saturday a bunch of us are meeting at the Midlands Woodworking Show in Newark - can't guarantee your sanity if you do join us though!

:funny::funny:

Goulss

Registered
First Name
Stewart
Lovely piece, Stewart. Gotta tell you though, that it was scary hanging from the ceiling looking at it.

If you are free on Saturday a bunch of us are meeting at the Midlands Woodworking Show in Newark - can't guarantee your sanity if you do join us though!

:funny::funny:

Thanks to all for the welcomes, sorry can't make Saturday, blew all my pocket money last week at Axminsters lol:sob:

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Hi Stewart and welcome.

Their a friendly lot here and very knowledgeable, which is handy when you are where I am on the learning curve of this great new hobby (new to me). Some very nice pieces shown above.

I see we are just down the road from each other

naxie

Registered
Welcome to the forum Stewart!:waver:

Your not alone, my pictures always come out upside down,:topsy_turvy:generally Jim will come along and wave his magic wand an they are the right way up again!:smile-new::applause:

Goulss

Registered
First Name
Stewart
Hi Stewart and welcome.

Their a friendly lot here and very knowledgeable, which is handy when you are where I am on the learning curve of this great new hobby (new to me). Some very nice pieces shown above.

I see we are just down the road from each other

Hi Billy,
Yes not far away, if you want any help in your Woodturning give me a shout, always willing to help a Noob!, though I am definitely more able to help on Bowl/Spindle work than pens at the moment.

There are 2 if not 3 woodturning clubs in Lincolnshire where you can watch the real pros for little more than the cost of a cup of coffee.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Hi Stewart, welcome to the 'insanum domum'. There isn't a lot that you can't learn from someone or other on here and will have some good banter at the same time. The reason your pictures are upside down is because we live in a vacuum, sealed off from the real world

:funny:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Welcome welcome welcome to the madhouse more commonly known as the happy farm or the plonkers club so pleased you have joined us and have bothered with your introduction Its good to know a bit about new members I sense you are as addicted as the rest of us on here on the note of the riffle / bullet pens there are a few of us on here who make pens out of real bullet cases scan through and you will find them we do several different styles also there is a large 50 cal pen kit on sale as well 50 Cal Bullet Pen kit

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi Billy,
Yes not far away, if you want any help in your Woodturning give me a shout, always willing to help a Noob!, though I am definitely more able to help on Bowl/Spindle work than pens at the moment.

There are 2 if not 3 woodturning clubs in Lincolnshire where you can watch the real pros for little more than the cost of a cup of coffee.
The best club I found in Lincolnshire was the Spalding one a very friendly bunch and helpful

Jim

Grand Master
I am a rotationalwoodengineeraholic!

Welcome to the forums Stewart, you are our first rotationalwoodengineeraholic to come out, i thank you for that, maybe others will follow you and also admit to the problem .. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).