• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Finishing wet wood ?

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Say for instance I've finished size turned a wet sycamore bowl, so that I can take a chance on how it moves etc.

What should I do regards to putting a finish on it ?

Shaver

First Name
Tam
Normally they are left to their own devices until dry, then they can be finished. Generally oil, then buffed is my method, but there are many other ways no doubt.

If extremely thin then often they are just left au natural.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
A bit of oil or wax may help it to dry a bit slower hopefully avoid some movement but generally let it dry thoroughly first is best plan.
Then the world is your Lobster for any finishing technique init?

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Boil it for an hour and let it dry, it won't crack and in a few days time, sand and finish it.

Trust me I'm a doctor. :funny:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
There are many ways and opinions on this subject and to some they are all wrong and they are all right there are two ways I do it
One I apply 2 or three coats oil as soon as I finish them keep them in a cool place till dry normally about a month in the shed or under a shelter but it dose depend how wet it is to start with then lightly sand and apply the last coats of oil or polish over the oil you can polish oil but you cant oil polish

But If the bowl is sopping wet turn it thin then put it to one side till dry then sand and finish but never bring a wet bowl indoors with the heating on to dry it or it will split and in saying that there is always the danger of that happening anyway

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Thanks folks.

Woody, this stuff is absolutely soaking wet, dripping even.

I guess I'll go as thin as I dare, then leave it in the garage to see how it distorts, then oil it.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).