• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Yew bowl with accidental natural feature

Paul

Fellow
Couple of firsts for me here. Firstly yew. Woah great fun to turn, some bits are purple, never realised that so it was a lovely surprise to see.

Second a knot. New for me and it left a groove. Rather than turn it off I left it on the side. Quite fond of the little feller now.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Please feel free to advise!

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Paul, I love this! The wood, for the colour. The shape and finish are spot on mate. A good decision to leave the inclusion, let the wood be what it is.
Wouldn't change a thing mate!!!:claps::bravo::thumbs:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
My favourite wood bar none.

That's lovely really lovely, great that you managed to get apiece with the sapwood that just ended up in exactly the right place

Great feature with the knot well done mate !

Paul

Fellow
My favourite wood bar none.

That's lovely really lovely, great that you managed to get apiece with the sapwood that just ended up in exactly the right place

Great feature with the knot well done mate !

Many Thanks...... Psssst between you and me - what bits the sapwood?:nooidea::idontknow:

Jim

Grand Master
Great looking bowl Paul, it is nice when turning a log and it throws surprises at you .. :bwink:

Many Thanks...... Psssst between you and me - what bits the sapwood?:nooidea::idontknow:

The white bit i think .. :devil:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Well turned bowl and I like the natural inclusions. The colour is stunning. And as you say a lovely wood to turn and quite often find bits in it which can surprise you

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
You will never get a better finish than Yew, a very tactile wood when finished and it always looks very nice... but its very susceptible to overheating when sanding and little splits appear. I know... You seem to have avoided all the pitfalls though Paul and produced a very nice bowl indeed.

Paul

Fellow
You will never get a better finish than Yew, a very tactile wood when finished and it always looks very nice... but its very susceptible to overheating when sanding and little splits appear. I know... You seem to have avoided all the pitfalls though Paul and produced a very nice bowl indeed.

Ahh interesting, I did notice one curved split. Too long to be my bad tool work, like a weakness coming off one of the black bits, it was hairline. But I managed to hand sand it off. Also it split a little as I screwed the wood screw in. Now I understand why. :wink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).