• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Tufnol

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
This is the Tufnol Pen I made which was one of the last 4 pens I turned.

Tufnol_ChEu.jpg

Peter

Goulss

Registered
First Name
Stewart
That is very nice, can you still buy Tufnol? As a newbie can I ask what the pen kit is and where from as I like the overall effect of top an bottom?

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
That is very nice, can you still buy Tufnol? As a newbie can I ask what the pen kit is and where from as I like the overall effect of top an bottom?

The Pen kit is a European, there are several suppliers, costs vary from about £1.10 to £7 in the case of the Axminster pen, but this is because of a very decorative centreband. TB sell it amongst others.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter

The kits is from Timberbits it's a Euro. I buy Tufnol from here

Peter

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
Nice job Peter, lovely pen and effect on the blank. Did it stink and did you need to wear a mask whilst turning?

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Nice job Peter, lovely pen and effect on the blank. Did it stink and did you need to wear a mask whilst turning?

It did stink a bit and yes I wore a mask. One thing I forgot to say was that after the final sanding before I put the CA on I wiped the blanks with Black Spirit dye, which enhanced the wood type grain, otherwise tufnol is fairly bland. I was surprised that it actually took a stain, but it was probably the sanding which exposed the linen.

Peter

Jim

Grand Master
Great looking pen Peter, at a glance the material looks as though it is a type of cloth .. Nice shape, finish and picture .. :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Great looking pen Peter, at a glance the material looks as though it is a type of cloth .. Nice shape, finish and picture .. :thumbs:

Thanks Jim, it is indeed linen impregnated with resin and rolled.

Peter

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
That's a fine looking instrument sir. Good idea to use the spirit dye too, it really makes it pop!:bravo::bravo:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).