• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Rough turning

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Right i know there i loads of opinions on this but is it better to leaves the walls of the bowl thick or thin?

also is there any thing gained by storing them in bag with the shavings that come off it ?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Which ever way you fancy both ways have there good and bad points and none of them are a 100% safe bet I now always go thin and hope for the best

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I just leave mine in the workshop till dry some place the thick ones in a bag of shavings a mate of mine just stacks them one on another up on a shelf till dry some he loses some work it depends on the weather some times

Jim

Grand Master
I recall the guy who i went to for lessons when i first started out telling me he placed the shavings in a carrier bag with the part turned bowls and placed them in the airing cupboard .. Don't know if it works Alex, i have never tried it .. :wink:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I rough turn thick and store on a shelf in the potting shed out of direct sun light.

DSCF3081.jpg

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
I usually leave them thick. Shove them in the microwave for 30 seconds every half hour, for about 2 - 3 hours, then shove them in a paper bag with shavings. They still warp, but not as much as normal.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I throw them straight in the bin and cut all messing about out, that's where they will end up anyway, then turn something dry.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Alex, maybe I have misunderstood your question, you title it rough turning and then ask whether you should leave them thick or thin? You can't rough turn a wrt piece of wood thin, it's a contradiction. If you rough turn it, you turn it so it can move and dry before completing the item. If you rough turn it thin, when it dries the outside line of the bowl will more than likely cut inside the line of the inside, making further turning impossible.

How thick you leave it after you have rough turned it will depend on several things including, the species, where the piece came from in the tree, the cut, ie sawn through and through or quarter sawn, the current moisture level, the diameter and depth.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Boil it. Alex you're not even married you won't get sore ears. Wait until your mum is out and then go for it. Tell her Brian said you had to do it. :funny:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I've tried a few ways but now stick to rough turning leaving the piece thick & then storing it in a paper bag, the main advantages I find is it's not messy (shavings & my OCD don't go together). I can just leave them in the bag & forget them I found plastic bags need reversing inside out from time to time, but mainly because I've got to most consistent results with paper bags.

If you're doing a lot of rough turning then the best bet would be to try a few ways & see which works the best for you Alex.

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Thanks every one I will try some of them were the best place to get paper bags from

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).