• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pen press jig or useful clamp

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Well here it is, in answer to Tony's question "You favourite buy"
This is my favourite little gadget / mod.
I recently saw somebody offering to convert a mastic gun into a pen press for a fee.
I thought about it and came up with my version as below which can still be used for its intended purpose and needs no conversion.
Accuracy was not on the agenda as this is my prototype and just a mock up to see if the project is viable. (did ya buy that as an excuse for shoddy work?).
Seriously though I have made a soft jaw version and will do another as it is so versatile and so strong I will find more uses ie gluing blanks etc, I reckon 3 or 4 would be handy.
Enough of this idle chatter let the pictures speak for themselves, no further explanation required. On with the show. Shut up George.

P1070290.resized.JPG

P1070293.resized.JPG

P1070296.resized.JPG

P1070299.resized.JPG

P1070302.resized.JPG

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
The blocks just tilt and slot in and hold it themselves square with each other making the grip squeeze a one handed operation.
I just love it and so cheap.

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Rellim
The majority of modern clamps for holding 2 pieces of wood together will do the same thing and you can get them for around a tenner and if your into woodworking you will probably have at least one.

That may well be so but look at my nick, I find those clamps clumsy to use. With the soft jaws on the nib presses into them and ruins them in no time or they slip off and I have a mess on the floor and damaged pen.
Without the softs on it is impossible to get the damn thing straight and I press at an angle and split the barrel. With this I have a guide hole as near as dammit dead centre, perfect results every time and easily.
Plus 4 at £10.00 a time is £40.00 I don't want to spend, I can pick these cages up at a boot sale for pennies.

trapper

Registered
Hey thats cool, when you can replace the wood with delrin (its kinder on plated surfaces) and saya 12" length shouldnt cost more than afew quid

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Improvisation is key it makes you feel good it keeps the gray matter going
and saves you money well done another good workshop tip:thumbs:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Improvisation can make you feel good, but it can also help others with less Improvisation. :thumbs:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Hey thats cool, when you can replace the wood with delrin (its kinder on plated surfaces) and saya 12" length shouldnt cost more than afew quid

P1070306.JPG

Do you mean like this one?
Which is my soft jaw version and the first one I created.
The square is better as it eliminates the play in the shaft and is far more accurate.
I was going to do a square plastic version but I have cut the corner off an old doormat and use that as a soft liner, works well too.

Ian

Apprentice Member
Thats a great idea .As to the delrin just sneak into the kitchen while she isnt home and cut a strip off the chopping board :funny: works as tapered spacers for CA finishing the pen make you own its cheaper :bwink:

Ian

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I borrowed some stuff I thought was delrin from work, they used this stuff to replace the wooden seats in the showers because OH&S
but the fing CA sticks to it :vangry::vangry::vangry: Tried to used it for a pen press but the nibs cut int to it , had a projectile pull out of a case after I pressed in a tranny.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 3

amazilia

Hi, I'm still new to the world of lathes, wood, and pens, so this is a great place to learn. I bought a brand new sealant gun and made one of these clamps, because I have another I chose to screw it all together, it works brilliantly !! I think my hole for the nib is too big as it sticks a bit so I need to drill a smaller one, learning all the time !!
Regards Terry

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).