• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

How much C A glue do you use?

First Name
Dan
I am trying to work out the volume of CA Glue used by you lovely people.

I notice some of you also use it as a finishing product. I believe I have found a quality industrial product that will compete on price with ebays 'BondFix' but I am keen to find out demand to allow me to work out how much to buy to start with.

Hope you can help.

Dan

naxie

Registered
I use a reasonable amount, if I'm using it for a finish its mostly medium, for filling it's thin and occasionally thick. I usually order 4 x 50ml of medium and thin and 1 x 50ml of thick at a time.

Price wise its around the £2.50 mark per 50ml bottle.

The no nonsense activator from Screwfix is good for the money. I was given some Hafele stuff but it turns white even if you show the tin to tbe CA!:nooidea:

Hope thats of use.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
For me it depends on what I'm doing normally I buy 10 x 50gr bottles at a time of the thick or thin about every few months at £22 for ten including postage it is quite hard to gauge as a lot of it depends on so many different factors I suppose I use more thin than thick but those who use it as a finish will be totally different to me sorry Dan cant help much more than that

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I use thin for finishing and medium for glueing up but as Woody says it is difficult to gauge due to so many different factors ie I only use the thin for finishing on wood turned pens so if I am making acrylics I don't use any thin.!!!

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I use tons of it, I usually buy 40 7g thin CA from Poundland that works out at £1 for 28g. I have several 50g pots of medium but only use it occasionally. I would buy from you if the price is right, but I suspect postage might kill it.

I use the thin for finishing and for stabilising badly spalted wood that just sucks it in.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I get a card of it from the pound shop every fortnight and hang from the roof of my shed always at the front of row.
If I want thin I take from the front, medium from the middle and thick from the back.
Once in system it works for me, having only had two go rock hard over many years of doing it.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I have never had any thin long enough to go any thicker, not that I noticed.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have never had any thin long enough to go any thicker, not that I noticed.

Peter
Get a good stock to start with and just keep replenishing it.
Buy the shop out and their stock room then a couple of cards per week should see you in good stead init?

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I use lots........Thin £1 x 28g from £shop and medium £2.67 x 50g from Toolstation. and of course nil postage

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Looks like you have a tough task with this one Dan can you beat poundland prices?
Is it worth the effort trying to?

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I buy about 10 bottle (25g) Medium and 5 bottles thin every few months. I haven't bought any thick for a long time now but would probably buy a bottle now and again.

First Name
Dan
Pen Turners Forum Introductory pre-order deal.

20 x Mitre Mate Super Glue thin or Medium 50g bottle (feel free to mix). £32 Inc free delivery. If you are interested in this deal please email sales@taylorsmirfield.co.uk. I will be placing orders at the start of next week.

I am aware that some of you recently got stung by another 'shop' under the premise of 'Pre Order'. I will not be asking for any money upfront. Payments will be collected once the glue is in a box with your name on it.

Cheers

Dan

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).