• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Carbide Inserts tools

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Yep I used them at the factory on plastic they are OK as a scraper and useful on plastics and soft metals by hand but no better than any other tool.
A good sharp tool does the job, I have heard the argument that they stay sharper longer and are easier to sharpen but have not found that to be the case.
They are intended for metal turning lathes and that is their best use.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I use them all the time on acrylic, resin tru-stone, the ones I use are made for wood machinery like planer, jointer, thicknesser.
The edges are really sharp unlike metal lathes inserts. You cant you wood inserts om steel DAMHIKT :whistling:
But you need a heavy solid steel bar to mount them on unlike what I am using. :goesred:

MikeD

Registered
I use a variety of carbide inserts on some of my woodturning tools. Some inserts have a flat top face and are used in a scraping mode; other inserts have a cup shaped top and have a very sharp edge and certainly produce shavings. I remember ( a long time ago) similar discussions on metalworking about changing from high speed steel to carbide and ceramic tips - the metalworkers appear to have settled down and use different tools for different applications and materials

Jim

Grand Master
I use a variety of carbide inserts on some of my woodturning tools. Some inserts have a flat top face and are used in a scraping mode; other inserts have a cup shaped top and have a very sharp edge and certainly produce shavings. I remember ( a long time ago) similar discussions on metalworking about changing from high speed steel to carbide and ceramic tips - the metalworkers appear to have settled down and use different tools for different applications and materials

Do you use these tools regular Mike, or just on certain items that you turn? :thinks:

MikeD

Registered
Jim, I use these regularly particularly if I have to remove a lot of material. I also use them if I am worried about possible inclusions in the wood such as metal or stones. Once I get down to finishing cuts I often revert to HSS but if the wood is very hard I may continue to use a carbide cutter with a cupped profile.
I have found carbide is not so good with intermittent cuts and a very sharp HSS produces a better result

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for that Mike ... I keep telling myself that i have no use for them ... :whistling:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Thanks for the replies guys, i will be investing in some of these in time. Well it will be one at a time for now lol. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).