• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Good evening all

Robert

First Name
Rob
Well actually it's morning now.

Just registered so thought I'd say hello.

I do a bit of turning at my evening classes, but am trying to set up a lathe so I can do a bit at home. I love making all sorts, in particular pens, keyrings, bowls and christmas decorations.

Is anyone else into making christmas decs like these?
951822_xl.jpg
I've had a bit of a scout round the forum, but couldn't find a thread on it. I just wondered if anyone had tried to make and sell them, and is there a market for them? as everyone I show keeps telling me I should sell them!

Based in Buckinghamshire, Wendover, for what it's worth

Regards
Rob

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Welcome Robert. On the subject of your crimbo decs, love em, wish you well with the sales but I wonder if you will make them pay. I know that turning is not just about turning and selling for profit be it to fund a hobby but neither is it a hobby that should be run at a designed loss! Yes you should be able to sell them, but at what price?

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Hello Rob and another welcome hope to see more of your work when you are able to:banana::banana:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Hi Rob ..Welcome . I've always thought that Xmas decs were a bit on the expensive side to buy . But there again I'm up norf and folks wouldn't pay the price that I would have to charge just to break even .:down:

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Hi Rob and welcome to the mad house. Pull up a couch and relax. The in house psychotherapist will be along to see you soon :thumbs:

Paul

Fellow
Hi rob.

Welcome. I've neither made nor sold these, but my gut instinct is that you could sell them for 8-10 around here. We like to buy one new decoration for the tree each year as a example. ( first few years are tree was really bare...) but I wouldn't flood your stall with them as they would seem mass produced etc. you gotta aim at the waitress, m & s, John Lewis crowd.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Hi & welcome Robert :waver:

I would think Christmas decorations like that would sell well but only around Christmas time, which would be the main drawback unless you can afford to have money & stock tied up of for around 11 months of the year.

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Welcome to the asylum Robert and best of luck with the Christmas decorations I would prob make em but not to sell, that sort do look nice though!:thumbs:

naxie

Registered
Welcome to the forum Rob! :waver:

I did some Christmas decorations a year or so ago on the scroll saw. I gave each family member one along with there main present as a keepsake. I finished them with mineral oil with christmassy smells infused in it so they even smelled seasonal, atleast for a week or two.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Welcome to the forum Rob.

I have seen the them done before and like the idea, never done any myself tho.

But the ones you have shown look really nice and well finished.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome to the forum Robert. I have a few of the decoration kits, but not turned any yet. I think they will sell especially if they are different to ones already on sale just don't make them too heavy.

Peter

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
Hi Rob and welcome. As Peter says, the weight of the objects has got to be taken into consideration. the one's you've shown look good though.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Hi Robert, welcome to the most distinct forum for most anything. I like your decorations a lot but have never had a go, I'll put it on the list. I can hear everyone down here too... Oh you should sell them, they'll go a treat...HOW MUCH!, I was only thinking of £3.....

I look forward to seeing more.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Wotcyha Robert. Keep Christmas in December.
It comes earlier every bloody year init?
Yes they will sell but not all year round so I wouldn't try building a business on them alone.

scouseroy

Graduate Member
First Name
Roy
Hi Robert and welcome, I like the Christmas decorations myself and I would start making them now as its only 197 days to Christmas!!!!!! you can tell its getting near Christmas when the shops get the Easter eggs in!!!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).