• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

First corian pens

Robert

First Name
Rob
Turned the red one at my woodwork class last night, but not particularly happy with it, doesn't marry up properly. Did the white one tonight and think I've made a better job of it. I think shaping the centre band helps hide any imperfections if the barrels don't sit true.

Bought the corian off eBay, and it came pre-drilled, which I found handy.

As usual, constructive criticisms welcomed.

IMG_7878.jpg

IMG_7899.jpg

Jim

Grand Master
Two good looking pens Rob, if i had to choose i would go with the white one also my friend .. :thumbs:

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Looking good Rob. The shape of the centre band on the white one actually suits the blank pretty well. You've also turned them down nicely to the ends of the kit. Keep em comin Sir! !:thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Very well done I to like the white one most not that there is anything wrong with the red one

Matt

Registered
White one for me also but they are both good. Never tried corian myself yet so I'll be happy if I do such a good job :whistling:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Very nice shape to them and not Sausages as Neil would say. If the top doesn't marry up to the centre band you could either trim it up with the mill or if its the tube protruding slightly too much, just drill it out with a large drill by hand... gently

Robert

First Name
Rob
Very nice shape to them and not Sausages as Neil would say. If the top doesn't marry up to the centre band you could either trim it up with the mill or if its the tube protruding slightly too much, just drill it out with a large drill by hand... gently
They didn't marry when twisted. I turned then together, butted up on the mandrel, so they line up perfectly. But when assembled, on the twist, they are slightly out of line.

So presumably they weren't sitting true on the mandrel, for what reason I don't know. I suspect the mandrel might have been slightly bent, possibly due to the end being placed up against the point of the headstock?

I'm thinking about popping down to Axminster later and buying a mandrel saver as I think that might help?

Any other thoughts?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi Rob if your mandrel is bent then a mandrel saver wont help but they are very good quicker and you will never get a bent mandrel ever again if your mandrel bar can be removed try laying it on a solid flat surface and rolling it along you will soon see then if it is bent good luck

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Hi Robert,

Nice looking pens and for the first attempt they look very good. White one for me too but I'm not sure about the centre band..

I suggest you check the alignment of head and tail with the kiss test. Also as per woody, check the mandrel isn't bent.

Just to make sure that the bushes haven't been turned out of alignment it's a good idea to rotate the blank on the mandrel 180deg just before the last cut and finish.. That will show up any problems.:thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I don't think it is bent. I just wonder if I put too much pressure from the tail stock which caused it to bow?

If your worried about over tightening and causing the mandrel to bow them a mandrel saver will serve you well as it will be impossible to over tighten on the mandrel as all the pressure is on the pen

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Robert you have made a good job of these pens and there are many reasons to be happy about your work.
Th alignment problem has just about been covered above, just a couple more things to think about.:...
Is the transmission inserted correctly and not slightly out of line?
Did you square the ends properly and enough?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).