• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Today's attempts to keep me out of the pub

Robert

First Name
Rob
A green corian. Didn't mean it to have the white band, I was going to have the usual gold one from the kit, but a breakage meant a bit of patching up was called for.

And did another segmented wood, mahogany and ash. Slightly overdid the nib end, and still can't get the hand of the CA finishing. Will definitely be using friction polish next time methinks

IMG_7922.jpg

IMG_7913.jpg

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
I like em both Rob. The segmented one is very well made. Don't give up on the ca just yet mate, it's well worth keeping at it. :thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I'm with you Matt polish every time and no nasty fumes to put up with LOL
Two very nice pens Robert

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Nice pens Robert! I especially like the segmented pen. What the youngsters are trying to say is that while friction polish is easy to apply, CA will give a harder-wearing finish! :tongue:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Elaboration:
Only a fool or misunderstanding beginner would would use ca on plastic, unless it's it is to stick it together, it has not purpose in the finishing, polish is fine having been abraded to a high gloss.
ca on wood is the best finish we have available for a quick hardwearing, long lasting shine.
There are arguments against that but I will narrow them down to Health reasons and laziness and see what that stirs comment wise.:mooney2::mooney2:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
ca on wood is the best finish we have available for a quick hardwearing, long lasting shine.
There are arguments against that but I will narrow them down to Health reasons and laziness and see what that stirs comment wise.:mooney2::mooney2:

Also there are those among us who just prefer polish to ca for what ever reason mine is I just prefer a polish finish simple and if after a few years a pen needs a face lift I will re-polish it simple it is no bother to me in fact I enjoy it strange I can remember someone else saying the exact same thing but I have never had a pen returned yet were the polish has worn out but I have seen pens with a ca finish returned because the finish has failed

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Brian, what are you doing... a hornets nest has been rattled :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
He He. It's a never ending debate, that's why it keeps coming up.
There is no right or wrong, only preference, I have and still do use them all and more depending on what I am doing and what is close to hand.
We do all agree that ca is a useless finish on plastic. so we have something in common.
And I knew Woody would bite, it's a red rag to a bull init?:devil::devil:
Like I said Lazy, Love you dad.:kiss:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Using ca on acrylic is like digging out rock to pour concrete footings imho. Just polish it 'init' :funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).