• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Oh heck he's been sectioned

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
To follow on from what has been posted in Trappers thread, some of you were interested in how I did my kitless pen.
I wouldn't know where to start doing a tutorial and not want to teach you to suck eggs, a few pictures tells a thousand words.
No special tools are required, this can be done with any material just by turning a tight fit.
I used grub screws and rod because that is what was available.
Here I have done it in clear tube so you can see the parts and the assembly all deliberately over exaggerated for the sake of picturing it.
Lets see yours when you have completed it. Hope you like the project, I will be continuing it when I get back to my lathe.
P1070440.resized.JPG
P1070442.resized.JPG
P1070438.resized.JPG
P1070436.resized.JPG

I am happy to talk about it and answer any questions if I can

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
That is clear as a bell mate, i have to ask thou, have you an engineering background? I would never had come up with anything remotely as clever as this. :thumbs:

trapper

Registered
Well thats about it I turn up bushes in much the same way.... I have used the screw/ thread inserts sometimes if im using hard wood for bodies as it does away with the need for tubes. It's amazing how much weight those brass tubes can add to a pen. It's often acomment I've heard in the past for our pens from customers who find them heavy compared to mainstream off the shelf stuff

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
That is clear as a bell mate, i have to ask thou, have you an engineering background? I would never had come up with anything remotely as clever as this. :thumbs:

You flatter me Tony "clever", I come from Army background mate Survival, Observation, application, improvisation It could equally be cork and wood. I would love to see what you come up with.

Attachments

• IMG_2647-1.jpg
    IMG_2647-1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 2

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
George what sort of plastic tubing did you use?
This may be the answer of to a problem of mine. :nooidea:
Sorry for late reply mate I am on restricted time at the moment and cant get on here very often.
I had a chat with my mate who gave me the clear tubing, its clear acrylic, he uses for sight glasses in boiler systems.
So he can see fluid levels of oil somehow.
I am not sure of exactly what he does with with it but he gets it in 2 sizes, 8 & 10mm internal bore by 1 Metre length and cuts to size with jnr hacksaw.
Unsure of manufacturer or supplier as his company stock it for him, he will try to make inquiries for me so will see what I can do for you if it is what you need.

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I am not back yet lads, sorry to disappoint you all :rolling:
Managed to get to a computer to catch up on a fix of PT.
Have fun while I am away I can see you are all still busy, keep em coming.:frenchkiss:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).