• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Nickel Plating

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Another one from the 'Bucket of I need to have a go at'
Didn't know what section to post this in but settled here - sorry if its the wrong place.
Nickel Plating.
This will probaly get Paul going.... and if your SWMBO is the same as mine, she will go bonkers over having yet more 'stuff' that's got to be warmed up in the house.....:nooidea:

This is my first attempts - 1 Old English penny '1962' and 2 x 7.62 cartridges, 1 which I had already cut ready for making into a bullet pen.
Not quite satisfied - but I will crack it, then on to something else....:thumbs:
Hopefully my 3D printing at work is going OK over night.....

Thoughts

Attachments

• nickel plating version1.jpg
    nickel plating version1.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 71

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well the talent is sure showing through on this forum well done Rowdy looks good mate

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Yup, you've got me going ok Rowdy... Did you buy a kit or the component parts? I've now learned to do all my cooking when the CMM is out. :funny:

I would say that you've virtually there with that penny and cartridges.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Oh, thats excellent Rowdy... the kit I was looking at was extortionate compared to that. Its cheap enough to have a play like that... Thanks.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Way to go Rowdy, that's cool init?
Paul was you looking at the Caswell kit?
I have all the bits and pieces, the full kit a few times over, dunno how extortionate it is these days.
Will look it out when I get home and see if it has any use by dates on it.
It is a bit more than just nickel plating which if done correctly is as good as chrome.
As with anything preparation being the key ingredient, make it shiney to start with init?

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Plating

Grumps - you hit the nail on the head.

Preparation.
I used a drop Ferric Acid to clean the items first, rinse in water then a degreaser and plenty of clean water.
No touching with the hands.
Connect up and dip

With the Nickel Plating Solution from 'YouPlate.co.uk' they also sent a A4 sheet Tutorial. Blooomin good.... I will attach it to this post. :thumbs:

Go Paul GO......:thumbs:

Attachments

• File.pdf
    733.2 KB · Views: 11

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Way to go Rowdy, that's cool init?
Paul was you looking at the Caswell kit?
I have all the bits and pieces, the full kit a few times over, dunno how extortionate it is these days.
Will look it out when I get home and see if it has any use by dates on it.
It is a bit more than just nickel plating which if done correctly is as good as chrome.
As with anything preparation being the key ingredient, make it shiney to start with init?

I think it was that kit Brian, the one you mentioned before. :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Grumps - you hit the nail on the head.

Preparation.
I used a drop Ferric Acid to clean the items first, rinse in water then a degreaser and plenty of clean water.
No touching with the hands.
Connect up and dip

With the Nickel Plating Solution from 'YouPlate.co.uk' they also sent a A4 sheet Tutorial. Blooomin good.... I will attach it to this post. :thumbs:

Go Paul GO......:thumbs:

Thanks Rowdy, that looks very useful.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).