• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

and verily, in the begining......

CLA001

Apprentice Member
First Name
Clive
Good Morning All,
One for after you've all had your medicine no doubt :o)

After trawling through pages of stuff and the feedback I decided I should start at the beginning so for my first challenge I thought I'd think about making my own mould. This then will form part of my Grand Plan(c).... I will outline my G.P. for your delictation and no doubt criticism but this is what I got so far......

My reasoning is that if I can make some moulds then, A. It would be fun and B when I have them "sized up" I will be able to test cast (with the avoidance of bubbles in mind) with some variations on a theme. However for me at least it's just mind blowing the amount of stuff and various ways to accomplish what intrinsically is the same thing. So my G.P. involves accepting and enjoying the journey of discovery (grasshopper!) rather than trying to just bolt to the finishing post (my usual approach).
So I thought with doing some moulds I would then be able to test some different approaches, and also see the size of chamber I may need.

So once I have them the plan is to start with the Polyester resin (the one that uses the catalyst) as its cheaper and I have some... then I will try.

0. Doing nothing but stir carefully make sure its warm and prey to the sticky Gods of resin.
1. Use Ultrasound (turns out there's an ultrasound cleaner with heater I can blag from work for a little while)
2. Go back to my trusty homemade Vacuum chamber and sticky stuff thrower (but that's another story).
3. If all else fails look at a pressure pot - and ok maybe acquire one as well.

So back to the start....
So anyhow I took some advice and have ordered up some Viarmould from links kindly provided by Buckeye (*bows*).
I have ordered the red - mainly because I happen to like red more than yellow if i'm honest, and because I have no idea whether I need less flexible or not..... and also because:

<rant>
I read about using bathroom sealant on the US site but I hate it due to a pavlovian reaction after years of sealing and resealing various bathrooms and showers, which no matter how much effort you put in will always leak when you have to children as boisterous as mine, and you always end up with more on your fingers than the bath.
</rant>

Well ok I also thought the idea of melting it down to try again was great as I NEVER get anything right first time.

And so my poor pre, or hopefully post medicated peoples.. finally to the point!

I limped up to the shed last night and thought I should think about a mould - for my mould..... After much cogitation I decided I wanted to incorporate the following features:

1. Little sticky outty bits so I can "fit" the brass tubes in "situ" - (my thinking) why bother trying to drill acrylic that will end up shattering in my face if I don't have to? And also less waste. That, and the fact that no matter how hard I try the holes "always" seem to end up bigger at the far end when I use the lathe and my drill press is not "quite" tall enough to drill on.

2. Can I make the mould roughly circular so there's less waste to turn off - and also again because corners can be "chippy" when turning down to the round IMHO.

3. I plan to start with a slimline pen mould mainly beacuse they are cheapest pens and I have some kits. I thought a mould that would hold 4 blanks would be ok to start with. (I don't really ever see myself going for volumes).

I have some scrap 11mm ply and I thought I could make the mould mould from and sand/seal the surface etc. with PVA. and now finally *drumroll please* the questions....

1. Any recommendations how "thick" the walls of the mould should be (bearing in mind i'm using red not yellow Viramold)
2. I am "thinking that my mould will be around 20mm diameter for slimlines - is that a little too much really?
3. Is there any point doing 4 instead of 2 sets of blanks at a time - IE will there always be a percentage that fail, no matter what / how I do stuff?
4. Should my mould be "just" long enough for the brass tube or should I make it a bit oversize and if so by how much?
5. Any other gotchas I should be aware off?

My plan is to turn (x4) 20mm'ish diameter "dowel" 22mm shorter than the brass tube. These get glued (?) to two (11mm thick) formers which have holes (which are the diameter of the inside of the brass tube) on each end (which will locate into the middle of the 20mm dowel.
Then throw all that in a box type shape (I'm technical me see..). In principle the "reflected" mould will then have a void that provides for (x4) circular casting with 2 "nubs" to mount the brass tube on.
My plan was to just have 4 in a row for 2 pens.

NB. Ok I guess it wont be truly circuler as Ill get a flat spot at the top but I think that's less resin and still easier to turn than squares. This also "should" mean that each of the four castings will be separate so no need to bandsaw (I hope).

*Disclamer* This is of course how I see it in my head - and not necessarily how it will end up - best laid plans and all that.

So what's do you think? *cringes* - now I've written it looks like the ravings of a lunatic to me ....

Regards
Clive

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Blimey... a lot easier with wood.

1. cut wood on saw
2. turn

:funny::funny::funny:

I haven't got a clue about acrylics... sorry.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
No wonder I have never made plastic pen blanks wow good luck Clive and enjoy yourself mate I dont think we have to worry about driving you nuts your doing Ok on your own LOL :funny::funny::whistling:

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Thanks Clive,
The world has been waiting for this for a while.:yourtheman:
When the medicine kicks in I will have another read through it. I have saved it as the start of an amazing epistle dedicated to the pen turning community.
Any chance of some piccies :thinks: there are some that need, indeed, demand pictures.:winking:

Buckeye

&#12506;&#12531;&#12513;&#12540;&#12459;&#12540;
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Good Morning All,
One for after you've all had your medicine no doubt :o)

After trawling through pages of stuff and the feedback I decided I should start at the beginning so for my first challenge I thought I'd think about making my own mould. This then will form part of my Grand Plan(c).... I will outline my G.P. for your delictation and no doubt criticism but this is what I got so far......

My reasoning is that if I can make some moulds then, A. It would be fun and B when I have them "sized up" I will be able to test cast (with the avoidance of bubbles in mind) with some variations on a theme. However for me at least it's just mind blowing the amount of stuff and various ways to accomplish what intrinsically is the same thing. So my G.P. involves accepting and enjoying the journey of discovery (grasshopper!) rather than trying to just bolt to the finishing post (my usual approach).
So I thought with doing some moulds I would then be able to test some different approaches, and also see the size of chamber I may need.

So once I have them the plan is to start with the Polyester resin (the one that uses the catalyst) as its cheaper and I have some... then I will try.

0. Doing nothing but stir carefully make sure its warm and prey to the sticky Gods of resin.
1. Use Ultrasound (turns out there's an ultrasound cleaner with heater I can blag from work for a little while)
2. Go back to my trusty homemade Vacuum chamber and sticky stuff thrower (but that's another story).
3. If all else fails look at a pressure pot - and ok maybe acquire one as well.

So back to the start....
So anyhow I took some advice and have ordered up some Viarmould from links kindly provided by Buckeye (*bows*).
I have ordered the red - mainly because I happen to like red more than yellow if i'm honest, and because I have no idea whether I need less flexible or not..... and also because:

<rant>
I read about using bathroom sealant on the US site but I hate it due to a pavlovian reaction after years of sealing and resealing various bathrooms and showers, which no matter how much effort you put in will always leak when you have to children as boisterous as mine, and you always end up with more on your fingers than the bath.
</rant>

Well ok I also thought the idea of melting it down to try again was great as I NEVER get anything right first time.

And so my poor pre, or hopefully post medicated peoples.. finally to the point!

I limped up to the shed last night and thought I should think about a mould - for my mould..... After much cogitation I decided I wanted to incorporate the following features:

1. Little sticky outty bits so I can "fit" the brass tubes in "situ" - (my thinking) why bother trying to drill acrylic that will end up shattering in my face if I don't have to? And also less waste. That, and the fact that no matter how hard I try the holes "always" seem to end up bigger at the far end when I use the lathe and my drill press is not "quite" tall enough to drill on.

2. Can I make the mould roughly circular so there's less waste to turn off - and also again because corners can be "chippy" when turning down to the round IMHO.

3. I plan to start with a slimline pen mould mainly beacuse they are cheapest pens and I have some kits. I thought a mould that would hold 4 blanks would be ok to start with. (I don't really ever see myself going for volumes).

I have some scrap 11mm ply and I thought I could make the mould mould from and sand/seal the surface etc. with PVA. and now finally *drumroll please* the questions....

1. Any recommendations how "thick" the walls of the mould should be (bearing in mind i'm using red not yellow Viramold)
2. I am "thinking that my mould will be around 20mm diameter for slimlines - is that a little too much really?
3. Is there any point doing 4 instead of 2 sets of blanks at a time - IE will there always be a percentage that fail, no matter what / how I do stuff?
4. Should my mould be "just" long enough for the brass tube or should I make it a bit oversize and if so by how much?
5. Any other gotchas I should be aware off?

My plan is to turn (x4) 20mm'ish diameter "dowel" 22mm shorter than the brass tube. These get glued (?) to two (11mm thick) formers which have holes (which are the diameter of the inside of the brass tube) on each end (which will locate into the middle of the 20mm dowel.
Then throw all that in a box type shape (I'm technical me see..). In principle the "reflected" mould will then have a void that provides for (x4) circular casting with 2 "nubs" to mount the brass tube on.
My plan was to just have 4 in a row for 2 pens.

NB. Ok I guess it wont be truly circuler as Ill get a flat spot at the top but I think that's less resin and still easier to turn than squares. This also "should" mean that each of the four castings will be separate so no need to bandsaw (I hope).

*Disclamer* This is of course how I see it in my head - and not necessarily how it will end up - best laid plans and all that.

So what's do you think? *cringes* - now I've written it looks like the ravings of a lunatic to me ....

Regards
Clive

I had to take several breaks when reading this, it's far too long for me to keep concentration:funny: so I probably missed missed something.

If you are going to make them for slimlines it seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to, unless you are planning embedded blanks, if not just make a slab cast and cut them on the bandsaw and drill on the lathe. You can see my mould here

If you are determined to make them then you can see some I made here and get an idea of wall thickness.

I use corian to make the formers as there is no need to seal it. If you are making them for slimlines and you can determine the max diameter you will make them then there is probably no need to go to 20mm I would have thought 15mm would suffice, but that would rule out fatter slimlines, which could be a good thing:bwink:

Have fun.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Well I tried to read that lot twice or was it thrice? Have I been asleep?
You're in good hands with Peter's guidance.

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Never attempted to make my own blanks. I probably will one day. But from what I've read I would suggest doing it Peter's way :wink::thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).