• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What is the best

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
OK not done any casting before probably this has been asked many times but I can never find anything whenever I use the search things on any forum(Just me I think)
What is the best resin,hardener and colouring compound to buy to cast without a pressure pot. I want to cast 4 X 2 1/2" square and 5" long in two different colours.
Or would it be cheaper to pay someone to make. I know that I will need other stuff as well as what I have mentioned above which I will keep in case I need to make more

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
First you would need to make a mould, easy enough. Without pressure it is probably best with PR although there are some PU resins now that are quite thin. If you go for PR you can get pigments or there are mica powders you can add as well or instead. All the PR resins I have seen come with MEKP activator which is usually added at 1-3%. I seem to remember that there are recommended thicknesses for casting, but I can't remember what they are, but if your casting is over what the recommend then you just cast in two or 3 layers adding the 2nd layer before the first layer has completely cured. This is because the setting resin creates a lot of heat and that can crack the resin if the volume is too much. any of the resin sellers will have the data sheets for the resin they sell and it should be in the info.

I would use a waterclear casting resin and compatible pigments or mica powders.

Casting & Moulding, Plaster-Of-Paris, Alginate, Modroc, Latex, Cold-Cure Rubber, RTV Silicone ...
Water Clear Casting Resin - East Coast Fibreglass Supplies
Special Purpose Resins, Water Clear Casting Resin, - CFS Fibreglass Supplies
Water Clear Polyester Casting Resin - Easy Composites

I have used the first 3 suppliers for resin and all work equally well.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
PR, Polyester Resin. PU, Polyurethane Resin. MEKP, Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide, Activator/Hardener/Catalyst. simples.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).