• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

mold material

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi All

2 questions in one.
1st. I want to cast a laminate for a bracelet, it's a one off at the present so I won't spend cash on mold material I basically want a bracelet size washer to sandwich between two sides of the bracelet, I'd thought of using Blu-Tak or Plasticine as a first time try, I'll be cutting down to size on the lathe so I can make it over size will they work?

2nd. Has anyone discovered the technique for making ribbons, or is it simply thin coat on a sheet of glass till it can be cut and worked a YouTube link would be appreciated.

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi All

Found the answer to number 2, if you want to watch how it's done Grub32 on YouTube.

I'd still like some advice on the bracelet mold.

Jim

Grand Master
All new to me Kevin, hopefully someone can help you in your quest my friend .. :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I don't do plastics anymore but when I did I used a product called polymorph.
It is still available but I don't know if it has been bettered.
Come to think of it I might still have a few kilo's in the store.
Hmmm food for thought.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I don't do plastics anymore but when I did I used a product called polymorph.
It is still available but I don't know if it has been bettered.
Come to think of it I might still have a few kilo's in the store.
Hmmm food for thought.

I use polymorph for all sorts, but have never thought about using it as a mould because it is not flexible or not very much, but I just realised that for de-moulding it could be dropped into hot water and removed that way. Polymorph is brilliant especially for making fitting with a thread on. If you have a couple of kilos, bag it up into 100 gram packs and sell it, I will have some no problem. I also thought it wouldn't be much good as it is low temp melt and the heat from the resin is higher than the 50 or 60 degree for the polymorph, but by the time the resin heats up it has already gelled so should stay in shape.

I have tried colouring it black but all I got was a dark grey apart from putting more colour in do you have any tips on colouring it?

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I had same issue with colouring and found it best to paint when set, if it was a permanent job then get it as dark as possible first.
It was suggest that I try the powder coat powder or toner from the printer but I never got around to doing that.
For those new to this stuff here is a boring but informative vid init?

And here is how to clour it init?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).