• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My second set of turned pens - Comments appreciated

penturn

Apprentice Member
This is my second set of turned pens (Newbie) learning by small mistakes but think aim getting there. Please can you comment, I don't my criticism as that's how you learn..

The first pen is a Barron II is myrtle tiger Blank finished with CA

The flat top is Bogwood finished with CA

The Acrylic pen is a baron II with tiger tiger Acrylic Pen Blank (have noticed the pen end need pressing in further)

First time I have used CA finish & Hut Acrylic Polish

Hope you like them, and would love comments to help improve.:thinks:

Cheers Simon :thumbs:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 57

penturn

Apprentice Member
PS - I am loving my new Hobby, started due to ill health as it something not to physical (or at least can be put down and picked up whenever) Love reading comments on this forum and learning from others. Great Friendly Forum :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
I am liking what i see Simon, the turning part looks very good, now the finish in the first picture could be down to the picture quality but it does not show off the sheen expected from a CA finish? How many coats did you do and did you use the micro mesh pads? I also like the barron pen, it is one of my favourites along with the slimline ... :thumbs:

I am pleased that your health allows you to participate in pen making .. And a big thank you for your comments ... :thumbs:

penturn

Apprentice Member
Thank you for your comment Jim. Basically from when I finished turning and sanding the pen , I applied 7 thin coats of CA and then used the selection of Micro Mesh Pads at the end. I did then complete the process with Acrylic Huts polish.

Again , not sure if this is the right process, please correct me if needed. I must admit the picture does not do the pen justice.

The Barron II Is a lovely pen, nicely weighted for writing.

Cheers Simon

Jim

Grand Master
Again , not sure if this is the right process, please correct me if needed. I must admit the picture does not do the pen justice.

Nothing wrong here Simon, some use medium CA, i like you use thin CA, but i average between 10/12 coats, everything is the same as what you do ...

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Your pens are looking great. :thumbs::thumbs:
The first couple pens it looks like the blank is proud of the finial, it my be an optical illusion cause by the camera.
In the last photo it looks like you can see the brass tube through the blank, on acryic blanks I always paint both the tube and the inside the blank. DAMHIKT :vangry::vangry:

Cheers Simon

There is really no right or wrong way to finish a pen, what works for me might not work for you. All you can do is to experiment.

Is this the Acrylic Huts polish you use?
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...=fN_nFbsOVn5J8K6RfXRl9w&bvm=bv.46340616,d.aGc

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I would have been pleased with those for a second attempt.
Or 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th got the message yet?

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Lovely pens, Simon! In the spirit of constructive criticism, I agree that the pen barrel seems proud of the finial, particularly on the first pen. My first few (hundred?) were like that because I was afraid to cut down to the bushing for fear of going too far. Also, I've got to agree that the finish is too dull. Try doing 15 to 20 coats of thin CA before sanding back and polishing, because I think you're not building up a thick enough layer then you're sanding and polishing through it. I know someone who did that to start with ... :whistling:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Shape looks good Simon, its the dull finish on the middle photo which detracts but this comes with practise. Having said that I've never attempted CA finish.

keith

Ian

Apprentice Member
Very good 1st pens ,the timber blanks as Jim said look like the finish is to thin and may have soaked in to the wood I sand my barrels to 2000 then eee wax before the CA this I think seals the wood first and helps the CA build up

Regards Ian

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I am tempted to not critique but request lessons from you. The comments so far are interesting and helpful for mine you have a good future in pens. Well done.

Kind regards Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).