• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Needed for My Workshop

Jim

Grand Master
All i want now for my work shop is a Thicknesser. Then i will be content ... :thumbs:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Planer Thicknesser is also on my list Jim, do you know much about them mate? :thinks:

Doc

Apprentice Member
First Name
Doc
Jim, I have one and it's a very handy tool.

When I was a total noob I found it was great for finding hidden nails and rocks in the middle of old timber. DAMHIKT :whistling:

If you get one, make sure you also grab a cheap metal detector - well worth the money and cheaper than planer blades.

Doc

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I'd love a table saw but I was in the garage yesterday and it would be a struggle to fit one in...........but no doubt I'll have a go sometime.

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Would love a planet thicknesses as well. Plus a table saw and lots more. But my shed if overflowing as it is :sob:
I need a Tardis :bwink:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I had an Axminster joiner planer before we downsized and it was very good it done everything I ask of it Oak planks and the likes but I think there machine quality has slipped in the last few years

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
The Dewalt DW733 is an excellent bench top thicknesser Jim, I had one for quite a few years & it certainly saw some use in the workshop & on site, not light but still moveable so ideal if you want to put it under the bench when not in use. The extraction was very good as well & I'd definitely rate it as one of the best of this type of thicknesser on the market.

Blimey just googled it for a link & its certainly gone up in price, :nooidea: I paid around £250 for mine though it was a show deal & thinking about it I must have sold it 2 years ago & I can't remember how many years I had it :goesred:

Dewalt DW733 Portable Thicknesser 240v 1800W

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I would love one too Jim, but don't have the room. I have a lovely old Atlas Pillar drill sitting on the floor, because it is waiting for bench space.

Peter

Matt

Registered
On my list too, along with countless other things! Think Woody is right about the quality of some of the cheaper machines, had a look at some and they look really flimsy :thinks:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I tested a Record Power PT260 for Woodturning mag and liked it so much I bought it from them rather than send it back. Before that I had a little Woodstar which served me well. I sold it on and as far as I know it is still going strong.

If you do any kind of flat woodworking a p/t will save you a fortune on buying planed timber. (or hours of hard work)

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
All i want now for my work shop is a Thicknesser. Then i will be content ... :thumbs:

Jim, I recently brought the Titan planer Thickneser from Screwfix. I only wanted one for squaring timber to prepare timber for doing segmented work on the lathe.

I know it has some indifferent reports but for what I wanted I have found the Thicknesser to be an ideal bit of kit.

I am led to believe it is Russian built and it looks really robust at a tad under £150 with a 2 year warranty I personally find it a great addition to the shed.

It certainly beats the crap out of hand planing and in my case it makes a ten times better job than hand planing.

:thumbs:Vic:thumbs:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Jim, I recently brought the Titan planer Thickneser from Screwfix. I only wanted one for squaring timber to prepare timber for doing segmented work on the lathe.

I know it has some indifferent reports but for what I wanted I have found the Thicknesser to be an ideal bit of kit.

I am led to believe it is Russian built and it looks really robust at a tad under £150 with a 2 year warranty I personally find it a great addition to the shed.

It certainly beats the crap out of hand planing and in my case it makes a ten times better job than hand planing.

:thumbs:Vic:thumbs:

Vic if you look at the date Jim posted this thread it was Dec 2011 and he said he would be contented if he had a thicknsser. Believe you me since then he has bought more new toys than Woody !!!! LOL:devil::devil::devil::funny::funny::funny:

Jim

Grand Master
Aye it was a while ago when i posted this, there were only three of us on the forum at that time .. :ciggrin:

But for an update, i didn't get one i went for Jet 10-20 Plus Drum Sander which i use for segmenting .. :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I didn't notice the thread was that old. Doh!

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).