• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Can't Seem To Get Away From Making Pens

Jim

Grand Master
Well no matter what project i try and start on i always seem to end up back making pens, i have never been able to spend quality time making other objects without coming back to the pen mandrel ... :ciggrin:

I have cut wood ready for boxes, got about 60 bowl blanks, got loads of bottle stoppers, key rings, light pulls, but they don't seem to keep my attention like pen making does.

On Friday i went into the shed without any plans, decided to make a bowl from a small piece of Walnut that i had, quite enjoyed it actually, i then pottered about making an alteration to the bandsaw jig. But before i left the shed i set the lathe up ready to turn a larger bowl on Saturday morning.

The nearly turned bowl ...​

bowl_blank.jpg

Well i entered the shed, put my heater on before i started to turn the bowl, but ended up taking the blank from the lathe and started making a few pen and pencil sets?

I guess nothing beats the lure of making pens ... :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Well i finally got around turning the above bowl, well half turned actually as it was still somewhat wet ... :rolling: Still not sure what the wood is, so if anyone does know please let me know ... :thumbs:

unfinished_turned_bowl.jpg

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Jim put your mandrel in a box and post it to yourself, that should take a couple of weeks at the moments:devil:

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
At the end of the day it is a hobby were we all seek to entertain our selves a bit of selfish indulgent's doing what satisfy's our soul my main love in woodturning is at the moment bowls so I turn bowls and a few other bits in-between for variety then back to bowls, vases or platters unless otherwise inspired with a new brainwave HA HA I can hear you all anyway Sir Jim if pens is what does it for you then make pens do what I have done start a wood collection in the form pens I must have over 500 by now but then why not just start a pen collection go for it mate

Jim

Grand Master
When i started turning i was doing boxes, and loved it, i used to walk by the pen kits and pen blanks without giving them a second glance, until the day i walked in to Turners Retreat hand in hand (:ave_it:) with the War Office where i was happily ogling the tackle when she left my side and went off on her own mission .. Out of the blue i heard this wonderful love call of "Oi" i jumped out of my skin and went over to her where she was stood at the pen kits, "Mek me one of these" she said, i replied of course love and picked out the cheap slimline and since this wonderful day out pens have been my be all and end all of turning .. But i am now planning on making boxes again with the odd bowl thrown in, but pens will always be my first love ... :ciggrin:

Feel so pleased i got that out without breaking down .. It was a wonderful day out, i even remember skipping back to the car ... :devil:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Jim,

I figured forever ago we could only use so many bowls family etc have them all now back to my personal choice pens.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).