• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Roman Harvest bushes

Themackay

Fellow
First Name
Alan
A friend has asked me to make a Nice pen for a friend so after reading various posts here I decided to order a few Roman harvest kits from Timber bits but went and forgot the bushes didnt I(NUMPTY) can someone tell me the bushing sizes so I can make my own.

Alan

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
let me see if i have some
i could send them to you on a return when done basis

Steve

or if u have the skills to make some then measure the Id of tubes and OD of fittings

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Another way is to measure them up when you get the kits and make them from wood, plastic, ally or brass. You can turn them on a wood lathe.

Or you could turn between centres and just use a calipers..

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Done the same a couple of weeks ago with some Euro pens from Axminster. Waiting now until I build up an order for free postage.

:sob:Vic:sob:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Always back to the brass with your own calipers mate safest. Even with bushes measure each time you can be caught out.:thumbs:

Peter.

RodN

First Name
Rod
Always back to the brass with your own calipers mate safest. Even with bushes measure each time you can be caught out.:thumbs:

Peter.

ESPECIALLY with the Roman Harvest!
The kit has been produced in two very subtle variants that look the same, but bushes from one type do not fit the other!

Guess how I learned that. :whistling:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I would measure the kit parts and not rely on bushes, turning between centres is the way I would do it rather than wait for bushes, unless you had lots to do.

Peter

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
I would measure the kit parts and not rely on bushes, turning between centres is the way I would do it rather than wait for bushes, unless you had lots to do.

Peter

I agree with you on this one Peter. I have done a couple of pens now between centres and found it relatively easy but not as simple as when you have the bushes

:thumbs:Vic:thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I agree with you on this one Peter. I have done a couple of pens now between centres and found it relatively easy but not as simple as when you have the bushes

:thumbs:Vic:thumbs:

It's a bit like learning to use a skew, the more you do it the easier it becomes, I still use a mandrel with bushes if I have them.

Peter

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
The bushes are really just a guide I also measure to be sure. Ray when doing it between centres just don't tighten the tail stock too tight just enough to drive the blank and be able to take light cuts.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
ESPECIALLY with the Roman Harvest!
The kit has been produced in two very subtle variants that look the same, but bushes from one type do not fit the other!

Guess how I learned that. :whistling:

Come on Rod, intros for the benifit of the forum.

Peter

I agree with Peter on this one..:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).