• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What a muppet!!

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Not so long ago I replaced the bearings on the top wheel of my bandsaw.

Since then I had noticed that I seemed to have less range of adjustment when tensioning the blade and setting the tracking. In fact it was quite a performance to get it to run true.

Well it turns out there are two ways to fit the top wheel, the right way round and the wrong way round. Guess which way I had fitted it?

beating-head-against-the-wall.gif

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Nice to know even the experts can get it wrong.
Nice to know you can admit to it too we all learn from our mistakes.
Walter is a Muppet na na na na na LOL.
He who never failed never tried
Did I just make a quote or has it been said before? if so by whom I want to shake his hand.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I know the feeling mate, when ever i am guessing with 50/50 odds i guess the wrong way. I have even selected one and then said because i am always wrong i will go with the other one, yes it ends up the wrong choice. :ciggrin: I try to do as much research as i can these days, it works out much cheaper. :devil:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Thanks for all youir sypathetic comments chaps.

Nice to know even the experts can get it wrong.
Nice to know you can admit to it too we all learn from our mistakes.

I don't claim to be an expert. I just like writing about what I do as much as I enjoy doing it. There are plenty of better pen makers than me and I am learning all the time. As soon as I think I know it all and start telling everyone that there is only one way to do this or things must be this shape or you shouldn't be colouring wood or the foot on your bowl must be this size then will be the time to shoot myself. (the exception to this rule is "sausage" shaped slimlines which are an abomination)

I am certainly no expert when it comes to repairing machines (obviously).

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Walter, if its any consolationi have now replaced THREE gears on my new metal lathe (not the same one, three different ones) because I keep lunching them through one or other act of stupidity ...:rolling:

Jed Baxter

Registered
Its in the same lines as turning a pen with the barrels the wrong way around so that hey dont match up, only to find this out when the pen has reached its final shape. :goesred:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
Matty, you could try that with your game snorkers. A 'genuine sausage' sausage pen ...

:funny::funny::funny:

I think that would need a certain amount of 'Stabilisation' as would the recipient, when i explained the blank's makeup... :devil:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I have been asked to make some like that, was for people with arthritis. :thinks:

If I am asked to make a pen for someone with arthritis I either start off with a pen kit that was designed to have a thick grip or make a broader centre band that doesn't make the whole thing look like a fat lass in a sack tied with string.

The name slimline is the clue here.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).