• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Red Mallee Burr

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I saw this piece of red mallee burr on ebay and got it for £7.50 inc. postage. It's not big, it's 240x110x55 at the largest places. I got it to make hybrid blanks, but I am just going to leave it on the sideboard for a few days or weeks in case anything else comes to mind, but I am 99% sure it will end up as hybrid blanks.

Peter

DSC_0249.jpg
DSC_0251.jpg

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I would make a nice little natural edge bowl from the middle and all the bits you cut off could be cast for pen blanks

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I would make a nice little natural edge bowl from the middle and all the bits you cut off could be cast for pen blanks

I think it would be far too wasteful of such a lovely wood, If I could get more like this then I would consider it.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Over here 200.00 for a bowl like this would be great value from your cost Peter. Until its turned the figure remains to be revealed.Trust you do well from yours. These two were an absolute steal IMHO at the last fair I went to called handmade it comes up again tomorrow I hope to get along and see what people are doing, most dealers in timber have promised their special stuff before it arrives in this country then as time goes on you can become one of those preferred purchasers. I have a strong feeling also over here with the massive plundering of burls from out back they will become memories in a while totally exploited. Gather while you can IMHO.

Peter.:thumbs:

Attachments

• DSCF0030.JPG
    DSCF0030.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF0028.JPG
    DSCF0028.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 24

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I think because of the size of this piece and two straight cut sides it wouldn't fetch very much as a finished bowl, not that that is my consideration, I think I could get more money for the pen blanks if I was to sell them individually, but I will probably use them for commissions and get even more. I may even make myself a pen, from one of them, that I have been promising myself.

Peter

Jim

Grand Master
Peter, it would be a waste to use this for anything else other than hybrids my friend .. :winking:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Peter, it would be a waste to use this for anything else other than hybrids my friend .. :winking:

I think you might be right:thumbs:

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
If they turn out anything like George Watkins blanks then for sure Hybrid is the way to go.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).