• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Multicoloured casting

ajmw89

Registered
First Name
Adam
Hi guys,

Was showing of some of the acrylic pens I've turned to some friends, who are avid football supporters (that and they work in marketing departments for the clubs they support!) and that gave me some ideas for casting blanks in various colours of football teams.

Now the questions I've got, as I've never done this before are:

If I mix up the stuff and add colours (blue and red for example) would they mix and go purple? If so, would i need to make 2 batches of it, one in blue and one in Red and mix together?

I'm assuming that if I mix one colour to another, they'll all be swirly and no way to get clear cut lines.

If I wanted clear lines, would I need to make one block of red and one block of blue, and then cut and glue it to get the effects I want (like in segmented pieces)?

Apologies for the rambling nature, that's kind of what I do when I think aloud!

Cheers,

Adam

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
If you want clear lines and 50/50 that is the easiest mix to do, you pour one colour into the mould and wait until it cures then pour the second colour on top.

Peter

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Could you not cast ribbons then stand them on end and then add the second colour. I have seen it done on a u tube video but can't find it now

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Could you not cast ribbons then stand them on end and then add the second colour. I have seen it done on a u tube video but can't find it now

Yes, that another way and probably much nicer than just a 50/50 blank.

Peter

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi Adam

I've tried this with some success, may have left mine on the glass a bit to long but I got some ribbons, I may be sensible next time and use a release of some sort.

Good Luck

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi All

Just re-read my post, first, my apologies, I did have a YT link that I forgot to add, I'll do it tonight when I get some time, but as a technique the guy put some tape around a bog standard picture frame (best use glass I think ) the tape just acted as a slight dam to stop the resin sticking to the wood, the poured his mixed resin onto the glass and tipped it from side to side/front to back to spread it out very thinnly...maybe a millimetre thick, waited until it was at a soft malleable set, sliced it into ribbons with a Stanley knife (other craft knives are available) and then rolled,twisted or manipulated the ribbons into a shape he liked in a plastic take away tray, left it overnight to set properly then poured his contrasting colour into the tray, 24 hours later he has a ribbon blank x 2.

having doen this already I would use a release of some sort to make it easier, after slicing the ribbons he used an ordinary pallete knife to lift the ends of the ribbons off the glass.

Incognitouk

Hey there peeps haven't posted here for a long time, unfortunately haven't had much time for doing anything "Penny" but today i opened up the browser and thought i wonder what these guys are up to and this caught my eye.
So AJMW what type of acrylic are you casting?
if its polyurethane then what your after doing is reasonably easy but i wont go through the details unless it is polyurethane :)

so anyhow gonna hijack this thread a little and ask how everyone is ? :)

Ive had to give away/sell all my gear due to am moving to the states in a couple of weeks (sunny california here i come wooo hoo now dont be getting to jealous lol)

Jim

Grand Master
Good to hear from you Stu, not a jealous bone in my body, sunny California doesn't do it for me .. :pinocchio:

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi Stu

I'd be interested in the polyurethane drill if you have time to post it before you fly off to your destiny.

Have a good life in the US.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).