• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Saltire pen

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
Ok........

My 13 year old passed his 1st kyu black belt karate grading tonight..

I'm so proud its un-describable..

So, i would like to make Kevin, (His sensai) a black pen, with a blue and white saltire in the top half..

The black of the pen will be blackwood... To signify Bens blackbelt

The Saltie signifies the name of the club (Saltire Karate)

But i need some thoughts about the saltire...

I have my own, but before I share them... whats yours..????

cheers Matty:devil:

Jim

Grand Master
I could try and make you something with resin Matty ... .:whistling:

And well done Kevin for making your dad proud ... :bwink:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Matty I share your pride in your son, what a great achievement for him.
Give him my very best regards and commendation.
It is a wonderful thing to see youngsters taking to the dojo learning so much more than self defense it is a real discipline to reach a standard.
My suggestion would be African Blackwood or Black Bogwood with a white cross laminated into it.
Or get one of the boys here with their cnc to to a club emblem for you in your choice of blank.
Hey I bet you are a great dad with all that pride your boots, RESPECT MAN!!

OOps Jim the boys name is Ben the Sensai (tutor ) is Kevin.

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
in the absence of blue wood....... i was thinking resin as well.. CNC I Hadn't thought about ..

How do you think a part celtic knot would turn out? with some blue and white acrylic? glued up as a lamination?

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
Home - saltire karate club

and yes..... my two are the ugly mugs on the front row, left and centre, of the front page logo...

The club is entirely focused on karate for families......
The guy deserves more than a pen... but I'll give what I can... :rolling:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
or......... what about if i inlay a blue cross like a dowel.. LIke the polka dot pen I made???

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Enjoy the experiment Matty How about a all Black pen in a nice presentation box.
Put the logo on the box, that gives your more room for maneuverability and much wider scope.
Maybe a tad more tasteful and expensive looking.
To experiment you could simply print whatever you want and stick it the box until you have a final decision then approach the cnc and resin casters.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Matty, I would probably do a Celtic cross style thing on two pieces of resin (white cross on blue background) then give it a Blackwood collar and cuffs. Would look great from both sides, only 'if' would be what it looked like from the edges.

Otherwise I could CNC it for you, but I don't have any blue or white resin. George has kindly offered some white corian, so that would only leave blue to be sourced. PM me if interested.

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
i want to make dowels, in the shape of the Saltire.. So need a source for blue vulcanised fibre board in those colours or acrylic materials in those colours...:mooney2:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Matty,

Hi I had a thought maybe an inline piece of African Blackwood as a ring or angle slice in the lower part of the pen up high may indicate bereavement. My youngest daughters Husband is Black Belt our ten year old Grandaughter Tayli is one off Black Belt Tai Kwando they both belong to a family friendly group so I join with others in congratulating your Son on his acheivement, your thoghtfulness to acknowledge his Teacher in this way, never feel only a Pen or ever underestimate the Real Power of a Pen as a gift. Well done you two.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).