• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Utter Noob - Reporting In

BH-HNT

Apprentice Member
First Name
Paul
Hullo turning peoples and a Very Merry Christmas to everyone :)

My name's Paul, currently living in Cyprus, which I was told would be sunnier and I am a complete and utter noob with a massive 15 pens under my belt, YEP not even two dozen. Got a mini lathe as a gift a while ago but didn't really get into this until recently when I tried making a couple of xmas gifts (and failed miserably at producing anything presentable). I am however great at making good firewood out of otherwise great looking wood.

Unfortunately friends and family are just too kind or maybe unaware of how bad my work is so basically I joined the forum hoping to find people that will hand out some constructive criticism every time i post one of my latest "great works"

Here's one of my latest. I affectionately call it "Pen 14", a name very close to my heart!14.jpg

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Welcome Paul and if you are looking for advise on pen 14 I think you had better look with another pen because I see nothing wrong with this one.
Merry Christmas.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome to the forum, Paul. There doesn't look anything wrong with that pen, it's a beauty.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Paul there are umpteen reasons for us all on this forum you acheived in this your first entry an explosively great pen photographed and presented with all the flair of a professional I for one looking forward to you teaching me again in the future. One of my ambitions in digital pictures is to capture a true black OK you could crop it but heck fantastic work mate living on the Island has been kind to you.Welcome to this forum from so far away.:up::whistler::whistler::whistler:

Peter,

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum, don't think you have made much firewood with that as its not wood:devil:

Looks ok from here, looks mighty fine, if that's number 14 I can't wait to see 15 onwards..:winking:

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Welcome Paul, enjoy yourself on the forum. Your pen looks like a satin finish & if that was your intention then your pen looks well turned & finished. If on the other hand you were trying to achieve a high gloss finish then you still have a way to go. There is plenty of help on here in case you need it. Don't be frightened to ask & you'll get all the help you need.
Merry Christmas.

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Welcome Paul & a merry Christmas.

We are our own worst critics when it comes to looking at the things we make, cos we see all the flaws.

Again, to me, that pen looks rather good all round but I don't see the flaws you know or think are there

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Welcome and well done Paul that is a great looking pen regarding the finish I have to agree with Bill if you wanted a satin finish then it is spot on if you want a gloss finish a good place to start is to polish with some Auto glem or T cut whilst it is on the lathe

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Welcome Paul, what the others said it looks good to me.
I've been to Cyprus a couple of times and love the area around Paphos, great climate you lucky fella.

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Paul, nothing but good to say about the pen, nice quality image also .. :thumbs:

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
Hi Paul and welcome to our forums. As the others have said, certainly nothing wrong with the shape of the pen and if that is the finish you were after, that's great. I like it mate.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).