• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

New Turner in Wensleydale

Bob Ellis

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Hi Folks,

I just stumbled on this thread by accident and I thought I might learn something by signing up, especially since I don't know any other pen turners and am almost completely self-taught. I have a small Sherline lathe that I bought a while ago to help me make components for a model railway that is in abeyance at the moment. I started making pens a few months ago and have made about 40 so far, mainly slimline ballpoints and pencils, but a few American and European style rollerballs and propelling pencils, plus a Tetra stylus pen for use with my tablet. Being self-taught, I have probably acquired lots of bad habits and am unaware of many useful tips that more experienced pen turners will regard as essential knowledge.

While I have a decent Bosch drill press and a pen vice I bought from Turners Retreat, my band saw expired not long ago and I have not yet saved up enough money to replace it. I get round this problem by cutting blanks to length with the cut-off tool on my lathe. My main method for turning is to bring the blanks down to a little above the size they need to be using a wood-turning chisel and a tool rest. Then I use a tungsten-carbide cutting tool held in a toolpost on the cross-slide to cut a couple of passes to ensure that the barrels are smooth, parallel and of the same diameter. I use 150 grit abrasive paper to turn the pens to a pleasing profile and finish off with micromesh pads before applying friction polish and a top coat of Hut wax, although I would like to find a glossier and more durable finish than I have achieved so far.

Experienced pen turners will probably be throwing up their hands in horror by now, but my defence is that I know no better and that I have produced so good pens using these methods.

Friends have said kind things about my pens and have bought most of the ones I have made. At the moment, I am building up stock with a view to selling pens through the local museum in Hawes. The profits from this venture (assuming that there are any!) will be used to help finance the repair and restoration of a large collection of books of local interest held by the Macfie-Calvert Trust on behalf of the people of upper Wensleydale and housed in the Dales Countryside Museum in Hawes.

I will post pictures of some of my pens when I have figured out how to do so.

Looking forward to learning a lot from people with far more knowledge and experience than me.
Bob

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Bob, i wouldn't worry about members on here throwing their arms up my friend as there is no right way to turning pens .. If you get the result doing what you do, then it is right .. :thumbs: Look forward to seeing the pictures of your pens Bob, if you need help take a look Here ..

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Welcome, Bob (there's getting to be too many Bobs on this bloody forum!) it's good to have you join us! The right way...? It's as Jim says, if you are your own worst critic and it still floats your boat then the pen is OK!

Regards,

Bob.

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Welcome to the Asylum Bob :thumbs:
You are lucky to live in such a beautiful part of this country :envy:
You'll find lots of help and opinions on here. Some more opinionated than helpful :wink::funny:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Welcome to the house of fun (thats madness!!!) Bob, you've stumbled on the right place to share and receive tips. There is nothing wrong with the way you turn pens at all, there might be easier ways but that'll come and results is what its all about and if people are buying your pens what a better way of saying they're good. :thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Oh dear another one lost to the dark art of turning and just to finish you off you have exposed yourself to this mad lot and even worst the plonkers club my commiserations to your family you poor poor man I just hope you have a doctor as a close friend

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Wotchya Bob and welcome in.
An interesting system you have in place for your pen turning, if it works for you then great, don't change a thing init?

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Welcome to the forum Bob, looking forward to seeing some of your work. :thinks::thinks:

As for how we make our pens, if your way works & your getting good results, it dont need fixing :whistling::whistling:

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
Welcome Bob. - you make a pen and these guys show you how to make great pens and it all happens really quickly.

Some are a bit addled. You know who you are ! Ask anything and someone will know the answer Great forum and blokes ( apologies if any cross trainers amongst us ):thumbs:

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Another Bob, yippee, come on in mate. Soon we'll have enough Bobs to take over:banana::banana:
It'll be bloody Bob a Job week if we're not careful.:devil:
Hi Bob welcome to the house of fun. No such thing as a stupid question, only helpful answers.

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
Welcome Bob, as a beginner myself although on the opposite side of the Pennines to you, I can tell you there is a huge amount of useful information in this forum. Also as has been said before to beginners, Walter's book is a really helpful introduction which I have found invaluable.
The sheer quality of some of the offerings illustrated can be a bit daunting but I figure all it takes is practice, and more practice. Ah so little time and so much to do!
Allen

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).