• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Buffalo Horn / Velstone and Purple Heart

HUKBMBEAR

Apprentice Member
First Name
Kenneth
Having a bit of fun - just completed three new pens, the materials are Velstone resin, Buffalo horn and Purple Heart

Really pleased with the twist on the Velstone pen and the finish on the Boffalo Horn - didnt think it would polish very well (fist time I've used it)
IMAG2476-1.jpgIMAG2475-1.jpgIMAG2477-1.jpg

I know some dont like the kits Ive used hear, but they were cheap (37 p each so worth a go)

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Yes the twist is very nicely done. What kits are they?

Peter

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Well I'd say you got what you paid for with the kit :funny:

I do like the twist though, how did you do that ?

Horn polishes up lovely but I hate the stink.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Ken for every kit detractor there is a buyer makers dont pay for their pens they make them, Chubby Checker eat your heart out go twist again. Neat to see turners having a go in this case having fun with design and material.

Peter.:thinks::claps::claps:

Jim

Grand Master
The pens all look good Ken, i think the detail that you have added to each pen will definitely help attract buyers ... Looks good to me .. :thumbs:

HUKBMBEAR

Apprentice Member
First Name
Kenneth
Hi all the pen kits came from Turners Retreate near Doncaster - they purchased a load of stock from a company that closed and just before Christmas they had a show and sale - I asked for and got a reduction on their already low prices instead of £1.00 each I got three for a pound.

FRBSZ2UHZ9O7CI8.MEDIUM.jpg

Ive also used these kits on an instructable as I had to make the Bushings for the kit (due to non being available)

Making a Pen is Easy and Fun (update)

HUKBMBEAR

Apprentice Member
First Name
Kenneth
Hi PhillH - the twist is done with a sorby micro tool - basically a rotating cog at an angle while you move it along the turning, as for the smell from the horn - yes does smell like burnt finger nails.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
They're make superbly especially the twist but I don't like the kit.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).