• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Cocobolo With Faces

Jim

Grand Master
I bought a piece of Cocobolo to use for pen blanks, the piece was 4" x 6" x 2" when i came to cut it i saw these faces looking right back at me ... :goesred:

How canny is this .... :thumbs:

cocobolo_pen_blanks.jpg

cocobolo_pen_blank.jpg

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Its amazing what we see in wood Jim, but i haven't seen as many clear faces as we see in these pictures. :thumbs:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Yes, nasty stuff, I get an itchy rash on my neck and my eyes puff up 'til I look like a lizard. I try to avoid it but if i do turn it I wear my airshield and keep my turning smock zipped up to the neck.

Amazing faces Jim, like you say, shame you can't get them into a pen.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Cocobolo isn't toxic, but it is a sensitizer, ie it causes reactions be they sneezing or a rash. Padauk affects me more than cocobolo, gives me a real problem for two weeks after I've turned it, feel like a damn cat scratching myself almost constantly.

Bluefoxy

You never know what you're going to get with cocobolo in terms of grain until you've turned it but as Del Boy would say it's one of my most favourite woods :funny:

Fortunately it has no effect on me

Ray

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
I found this fellow looking at me from my bookshelf. Didn't notice the face while turning, or finishing, but brought it in and set it on the bookshelf. Next time I looked at it, it was looking back at me, and seemed astounded!
IMG_2551.JPG

Jed Baxter

Registered
I found this fellow looking at me from my bookshelf. Didn't notice the face while turning, or finishing, but brought it in and set it on the bookshelf. Next time I looked at it, it was looking back at me, and seemed astounded!
View attachment 850

Thats a nice bit of turning, the face looks like a cat to me the whiskers smack you in the face. :ciggrin:

Those ghostly faces are enough to scare you off cocobolo. :devil:

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forum sbwertz, i agree with Jed, it does look like a cat ... :thumbs:

Old Corky

Hello Brother Jim

I loved the Cocobolo face pictures. I didn't see a copyright notice, but I still always like to ask permission to use someone else's work. With your permission to use them, they will appear in the October issue of my "Small Town Texas Masons E-magazine" (400 subscribers) under the title, "Mother Nature Plays Tricks" and giving you credit for the discovery and photos of course. This is a free online monthly magazine, mostly about Freemasonry with stories and articles from around the world. it is located at, The Small Town Texas Mason E-magazine

Old Corky
You can answer at pine.island@hotmail.com if you wish.

Jim

Grand Master
Hello Brother Jim

I loved the Cocobolo face pictures. I didn't see a copyright notice, but I still always like to ask permission to use someone else's work. With your permission to use them, they will appear in the October issue of my "Small Town Texas Masons E-magazine" (400 subscribers) under the title, "Mother Nature Plays Tricks" and giving you credit for the discovery and photos of course. This is a free online monthly magazine, mostly about Freemasonry with stories and articles from around the world. it is located at, The Small Town Texas Mason E-magazine

Old Corky
You can answer at pine.island@hotmail.com if you wish.

Hi Corky,

Sure you can, be my guest ... :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).