• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Different resins

Themackay

Fellow
First Name
Alan
Just wondering am I right in thinking Polyurethane resin is easier to turn than Polyester resin what resin are Acrylic blanks made from ,Is Alumalite just a brand of Polyurethane

Chilprufe

Registered
First Name
David
Just wondering am I right in thinking Polyurethane resin is easier to turn than Polyester resin what resin are Acrylic blanks made from ,Is Alumalite just a brand of Polyurethane

Alumalite is polyurethane ... PU(polyurethane) has a softer feel to it when you turn it (shore hardness) ... PE(polyester) is harder (higher shore hardness) about 85 on the shore scale while PU varies from 45 - 80

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Alumalite is polyurethane ... PU(polyurethane) has a softer feel to it when you turn it (shore hardness) ... PE(polyester) is harder (higher shore hardness) about 85 on the shore scale while PU varies from 45 - 80

Thanks for that David, which is best though in your opinion?

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I prefer Polyurethane but the prices are so high ... I normally just use a water clear polyester unless I'm making a hybrid blank with burr then i use PU

OH, why is that? does it adhere to the wood better?

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi David

I was going to plump for the Alumalite next time for the simple reason of ease, I like the idea of a 1:1 ratio, much easier to measure rather than 1% of the catalyst especially if you just want a small amount for an accent colour

From what I can see on YT, Alumalite would remove that difficulty altogether, Polycraft FC-6600 Slow-Set Water Clear Polyurethane Liquid Plastic Casting Resin has a ration of 1:1.2 which seems a bit easier to work with, might give that a try as it compares favourably with Alumalite as far as cost is concerned.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I spoke to the man at mbfg from the link you gave David and what a helpful person he is... now I'm really confused though but I've put in an order and will see what happens from here. I've got some Alumilite sitting on my desk so as soon as I've got my chamber running and purchased a compressor... well the skys the limit. :thumbs:

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
I use Brody Resin all the time now it comes in blocks ready to turn and in every fantastic colour and style you could ever want.

:thumbs:Vic:thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I use Brody Resin all the time now it comes in blocks ready to turn and in every fantastic colour and style you could ever want.

:thumbs:Vic:thumbs:

And you won't go wrong with that either Vic, he makes some fantastic blanks. :thumbs:

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
And you won't go wrong with that either Vic, he makes some fantastic blanks. :thumbs:

Would love to have a go at making blanks but I am still learning how to turn them. One day perhaps when someone writes a Dummies guide on how to do it !

:rolling:Vic:bwink:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Would love to have a go at making blanks but I am still learning how to turn them. One day perhaps when someone writes a Dummies guide on how to do it !

:rolling:Vic:bwink:

I could do with that guide right now :funny::funny:

I'm diving into a whole new world what with vacuum chambers and pressure chambers, polyurathane, polyester, silicone, releasing agents, colours, pearl ex, moulds, compressors, vacuum pumps.... oh and hoses that don't connect it all together despite buying it all from the same place and talking it through that I wanted it all to work together... ah well....

As I say a whole new world, perhaps I should write it all down as I travel on this journey :funny:

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi PaulM

I hadn't picked up on the vacuum part, all I did was get a sheet of 10mm of Acrylic to use on top of my pressure pot, haven't used it yet but the day is getting closer, I thougt it would be cheaper and save more space than buying a vacuum chamber, I just glues some 50p closed cell mouse pad around the top to make a seal, seems to work Ok, at present the only problem I can forsee is seeing the bubble level, but as my paint pot is about 2 1/2 ft tall I don't think the plasticiser getting into the vacuum pump wil be a big issue, it'll probably take about 8 or 10 gallons to fill it up so thats never going to happen at the price of Cactus juice......!

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).