• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hello from Indiana USA

PanamaJack

Apprentice Member
Hello to all from south central Indiana. I am Randy a self taught wood turner. I've been a woodworker for over 40 years. Three years ago I decided to purchase a lathe to expand my woodworking abilities. Purchased a JWL1236 off eBay for cheap. Had to rebuild and remove a lot of rust as it sat unused in an old leaky barn for over 10 years. That took three months with my then full time job. Then I purchased a Barry Gross DVD, watched it at least three times and started. Making my way now into several juried shows and really enjoying my once "really expensive" hobby. My motto of my little company: If I can turn it on a wood type lathe, I'll try my best to make a pen from it. I am constantly reading, watching DVDs or live demos and asking questions in an effort to expand my pen making knowledge and abilities.

I have a small website: https://www.kimeryscreations.webs.com
and I am on Facebook.

Let's make some sawdust today! :thumbs:

Jed Baxter

Registered
Welcome Jack, like you i am always trying to improve making pens, i hope i and others here can learn from what you have learned during your travels. :thumbs:

naxie

Registered
Welcome to the forum Randy! :waver:

I started by having an old TV acting as a PC monitor mounted on the wall opposite my lathe watching constant YouTube videos, pausing and rewinding till I felt I got it right. I also love reading and gathering information in my pursuit to actually get any good at this pen turning malarkey. That's how I found this fantastic forum!
:thumbs:

Off to take a look at your site now!

PS the link needs the "s" on the end of https:// removed to work.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).