• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

New memeber from Phoenix, Arizona USA

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
Hope you don't mind a Yank joining your board! I'm from the southwestern US and my turnings tend to reflect the tastes of the area. I originally learned to turn almost 40 years ago in a college scene shop, turning stair spindles for a set for a play. I loved turning but it wasn't until we retired and built a woodworking shop that I was able to get a lathe of my own. I've been turning for almost 4 years, now. I started out with a little 10" lathe, and last year bought a 12" variable speed lathe, so now I have two:up:

My husband is also a woodworker, but not a woodturner. He is currently building me a set of kitchen cabinets. When we converted the carport into a woodworking shop we had to take out the 8' window in that wall, leaving a 12' wall in the kitchen just BEGGING for cabinets!

I am MOSTLY retired from the computer consulting business I have had for over 30 years. I still have a few clients that I support, mostly older people who I started out in computers and they panic at the thought of working with someone new. I'm always willing to help out if you have a glitch. Just ask.

My most recent accomplishment is the publication of an e-book Low Carb Cookbook for diabetics. (Husband is diabetic)

Sharon Wertz
Phoenix, AZ, USA

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
The big problem is just north and west of Phoenix, where the hot weather is making it very difficult to control a wildfire that is destroying the small town of Yarnell. We lost 19 firefighters fighting that fire a few days ago. The heat from the fire, combined with the atmospheric heat is making it difficult to fly over the fire to dump retardant. It was so hot last week that small planes could not take off at the Phoenix airport because they couldn't develop enough lift.

Welcome Sharon,

One of my most favorite places is Scottsdale AZ. A tad hot there at the moment. Phew....

Rowdy

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Sharon welcome to our forums, already seen some of your work here, despite what I say i am really impressed with your ability.
I have my likes and dislikes and am not shy of voicing them but that don't make me a bad person just a blustery one.
A special day for you in the states today so Happy 4th July to you all over there.
So sad to hear of the deaths of the firefighters lets hope that sorts itself out quickly, such devastation is terrible I salute those heroes still battling it.

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Sharon, we certainly don't mind a Yank here, what we do mind is that lovely Mulberry you have ... :ciggrin:

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
What you don't realize is that I have 5 TRAILER LOADS of it in my back yard. A tree trimmer that I thought was a friend, asked me if I wanted some mulberry crowns (that is what the knobs on the polled mulberry limbs are called.) I said YES! At that point, he dumped five big trailer loads...20 trees... in my backyard, telling me he would come over with one of his 48" chain saw and split up the crowns, let me choose the ones I wanted to keep, and haul off the rest. Needless to say, I never heard from him again. He basically used my backyard to avoid the disposal fees for taking it to the dump. Sooooo, here I am with all this beautiful wood that I can't bear to even THINK of taking to the dump. But I also would like my backyard back! Several local turners have come over and carried away truckloads of it, but it hasn't even made a dent.

This is just one of the five trailer loads he brought. If anyone wants some small pieces, I will gladly send it, if you will pay the postage. I warn you, though, the wood is fragile and hard to turn because it is all scar tissue. It has pith and voids, but also has colors ranging from almost pure white to black.

Sharon

Welcome to the forums Sharon, we certainly don't mind a Yank here, what we do mind is that lovely Mulberry you have ... :ciggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_2804.JPG
    IMG_2804.JPG
    225.9 KB · Views: 12
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).