• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Preference

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
Do you have a favourite type of pen? and do you find certain pens look better (in your opinion) made from different substrates?

My overall favourites are fountain pens, those with a nice looking nib. I do like other types but I think those are hard to beat.
I also prefer wood pens to any other type, I just feel they have a beauty of their own. Don't get me wrong other materials do look good but good old wooden pens stand out for me.
I don't have a preference on slim v's fat pens and I do not know enough about the different pen kits to have any likes or dislikes, in fact at this stage of my hobby (Never having turned anything) I don't really know the difference.

I would be interested in hearing your views

Gary

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Yes, I have go to kits and suppliers, over time you will learn price is not the only concern.....
For me its probably blanks I find more frustrating, I have probably bought blanks off most suppliers, some turn with ease and polish great.... Others melt when drilling!! It's very hit and miss until you find the one( or three) which suits.
Kits are easy.... Don't buy Chinese!!,
My soft spot is the all black Sirocco. :winking:

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
Hi Gary,

Yes I have my favourites, fountain pens, then rollerballs. As for pen kits, firstly, Beaufort Mistrals, Zephyrs and Siroccos, quality always counts, then secondly, Tailor Mirfield's Omegas. I have made more of those than any others. Tried the Chinese rubbish years ago, no contest, ever.
I like the classic style of a mans pen, not "fatties" Good lines on a good quality pen always sells in my opinion.
As for my preference to the pen dressing, has to be wood, for me, every time. No two pieces are ever the same, each one, its own character and design. I have tried plastics and composites, but they are not for me, sorry guys.
Kelvin.

Geoff Kent

Graduate Member
First Name
GEOFF
For me its timber all the way.The sheer beauty of a well turned and finished wooden pen is hard to beat.From a personal point fountain pens are my fave followed by rollerballs.When it comes to selling pens my best sellers to date are ballpoints,generally slimlines or European.I have been increasing my range and I am keen to see what the trend will be when craft fairs commence again.
As for kits and suppliers for higher end kits my go to supplier is Beaufort Ink,Leveche,Tempest and Etesia.Prokraft offer some nice kits,the ones I have had have been good quality,Byron,Nibster and the tubeless rollerball/fountain pen kits.I have just had a delivery of the Mysterious Sky fountain/rollerball kits from UK pen blanks,they seem pretty good.
The world of pen kits is a minefield,there is some dreadful stuff out there.My advice would be to avoid the cheap stuff sold on fleabay and go for suppliers mentioned.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Glad you asked ,with a preference for timber and I crave grain. My favourites are the pen I am turning each one has some character. Like motor cars everyone has an opinion or theory.

Peter.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Anything with character. I'd rather turn a sexy looking piece of acrylic than a dull piece of wood, and I'd rather turn a sexy piece of wood than a dull piece of acrylic. Having said that though, sometimes an understated fountain pen in a single colour acrylic or in a wood without much figuring can look nothing less than the height of elegance.

(Not much help am I? !!) :whistling:

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Like a Phil I turn both timber & acrylic & like turning both.
Arrhenius end of the day, no matter what our preferences are, the choice is yours.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).