• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Abrasive Paste

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
I tend to fine Yorkshire grit leaves very small particles in some of the grain on types of wood. These are a bugger to remove, so I tried once and through the rest away.
Kelvin

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Never tried any of this type of thing I try to sand properly and that way I can put any finish or stain on I just believe they are just a gimmick why waste money

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Wow, never even thought about making my own. worth a wee shot ha ha, cheers

Lots of videos on YouTube of how to do it but most of them make it look harder than it is. I make small batches in an old soup tin. I just put it in another container with water boiled from the kettle. I normally need to tip the water out after a while and refill with freshly boiled to ensure the wax all gets melted. No need for a double boiler or using the hob, all you need is a kettle.

Pumice and wax on the auction site and walnut oil from the supermarket.

Never tried any of this type of thing I try to sand properly and that way I can put any finish or stain on I just believe they are just a gimmick why waste money

How would you know if it’s a gimmick and a waste of money?

I don’t use it very often but it’s great for the inside of small boxes etc.

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
I make & use my own sanding wax which gives a better finish than just dry sanding. After sanding I always put a coat of cellulose sanding sealer on the timber, this neutralises the wax & allows you to use the finish of your choice. I use beeswax & liquid paraffin from the vet (cheaper than the chemist) & it works well.
I suppose I’ve done more sanding on the lathe than most as I’ve been doing it since 1959 & I prefer sanding with the wax.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
How would you know if it’s a gimmick and a waste of money?

Why would you want a substance that after you have sanded to a good finish would need more sanding and in the process put a wax on the piece that you want to stain which relies on the wood to pull in the stain and any form of wax, finish would prevent it. Not all finishes like a super smooth sanding finish so if that is not a gimmick then what is therefore if it is just a gimmick it then makes it a waste of money.
I can get a finish that I am after without spending yet more money.
How many time have you heard X Y or Z say it is a great product they produce and sell and because they are well known people believe them. They will not say I produced this and it is rubbish are they, this applies to all kinds of advert you see. Do you believe every advert out there.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Why would you want a substance that after you have sanded to a good finish would need more sanding and in the process put a wax on the piece that you want to stain which relies on the wood to pull in the stain and any form of wax, finish would prevent it. Rather poor grammar there but if what you’re trying to say is that you stain all your work then you simply apply the stain before using abrasive wax.

Not all finishes like a super smooth sanding finish so if that is not a gimmick then what is therefore if it is just a gimmick it then makes it a waste of money. Gibberish, so I can’t really answer that.

I can get a finish that I am after without spending yet more money. The choice of materials and their cost is up to you as it is for anyone.

How many time have you heard X Y or Z say it is a great product they produce and sell and because they are well known people believe them. I don’t know these people you speak of. I’ve only seen other turners make complementary remarks about some of these products.

They will not say I produced this and it is rubbish are they, this applies to all kinds of advert you see. Do you believe every advert out there. No, do you?

As I said earlier I don’t buy abrasive wax, I’ve just made a couple of small batches for myself and some friends so no need for you to worry about my financial expenditure.

As I also mentioned earlier I don’t use it very much myself but many of my turning friends do and they seem happy with the results. Even the stuff I’ve made myself and given to them.:wink:

If anyone wants to know more about abrasive wax then this may be worth a look. I have no financial or emotional interest in whether you end up using abrasive wax or not. :wink:

https://youtu.be/8eV9bHc5iFc

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
[MENTION=1324]21William[/MENTION] I did not reply last night as I was tired. But I think we will leave it as that we agree to disagree. As you know this is a friendly site and I am sure you and I would like to leave it like that we had the debate so lets move on. I do respect you have your views.

Take care and talk in another post keep turning

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Just to round this off, there are more than a couple of these products available in the UK but the foreign made ones can be rather expensive.

Attachments

• 2B7E273C-78A5-43E4-8F9A-41C3889EB279.jpg
    2B7E273C-78A5-43E4-8F9A-41C3889EB279.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 15
  • E00DDFA8-3F49-45BC-94AB-4224BBE45554.jpg
    E00DDFA8-3F49-45BC-94AB-4224BBE45554.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 14
  • EAE9A1B7-868A-4FE5-9F5D-F9F2BEB973DD.jpg
    EAE9A1B7-868A-4FE5-9F5D-F9F2BEB973DD.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 14
  • 51363806-BF89-47BA-A1DA-E150D8FBF235.jpg
    51363806-BF89-47BA-A1DA-E150D8FBF235.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 14
  • A089868B-26E4-4A29-BF7A-AC439E47E7BE.jpg
    A089868B-26E4-4A29-BF7A-AC439E47E7BE.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 47FAAEC5-7960-412D-99C9-EDC9B316B9DF.jpg
    47FAAEC5-7960-412D-99C9-EDC9B316B9DF.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 2A6A19A6-DFC2-49BF-A4AD-FD3CC603D4FA.jpg
    2A6A19A6-DFC2-49BF-A4AD-FD3CC603D4FA.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 14
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).