• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Acrylic, Poly or Ebonite

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
Looking to turn a few, hopefully, non-wood pens to add to a charity stall that I’m going to run next month. Just wondering what the difference is between the various types of material commonly available, acrylic, poly & ebonite etc?

I’ve only ever turned two before and frankly I’ve no idea really what they were, possibly acrylic, they came in my pen turning set gifted to me at Christmas. I didn’t enjoy turning them and they stank to high heaven whilst being turned, but they appear to be very popular. So I’m hoping to try a few out for my charity stall and see how they go 😀. So what’s the difference and any recommendations?
Thanks - Alex

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Resins, acrylics, plastics, ebonite, Corian and the miriade of others....
Think of these like wood.... Some are bullet hard, some are soft, some splinter shards off.... Its a learning curve, as with wood you'll find some you like and some you'll hate....
Sharp tools and light cuts will always work well and avoid heat...
Another massively overlooked issue is wood has a little give when you push kit pieces in.... Plastics do not have any give, make sure the tube ends are spotlessly clean, I run a rats tail file through to remove any glue residue, then a flue brush to clear dust. It might seem over kill but after all your work it's easy to crack a blank and unlike wood you can't hide it!!

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
Thanks Mark, I suppose that I’m trying to decide which products to go for . Probably just get three or four I like the look (and cost) of 😀 and give it go 👍

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
Ebonite is basically a sulphur hardened rubber. One the surface it sounds like it should be easier to turn but it isn't. The sulphur content makes it stink especially if turned fast and it wears tools faster too, the surfer in it. It is more difficult to get a good finish/shine. It can make for beautiful pens when you learn its ways but I would suggest leaving it until you are more experienced.

If Poly means polyester resin it can be brittle and chippy if you are aggressive and don't have sharp tools. The colours it comes in can be amazing and it polishes beautifully. It is a cast resin and the amount of catalyst added determines how hard and brittle it will be. Sharp tools and light cuts. Many clear cast blanks use polyester resin.

Acrylic is a generic name that means it is a plastic. Usually they don't have the colours and patterns you'll find small batch casters making with polyester resins but are easier to turn because they are not as hard or brittle. They are the ones you should play with as they are usually cheaper, readily available and a vendors stock item, easier to turn and consistent from batch to batch. Sharp tools and light cuts yield long ribbon shavings that unless sucked away while turned, wrap around everything. You will get good at removing the ribbons.

Go have fun.

Pete

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
Ebonite is basically a sulphur hardened rubber. One the surface it sounds like it should be easier to turn but it isn't. The sulphur content makes it stink especially if turned fast and it wears tools faster too, the surfer in it. It is more difficult to get a good finish/shine. It can make for beautiful pens when you learn its ways but I would suggest leaving it until you are more experienced.

If Poly means polyester resin it can be brittle and chippy if you are aggressive and don't have sharp tools. The colours it comes in can be amazing and it polishes beautifully. It is a cast resin and the amount of catalyst added determines how hard and brittle it will be. Sharp tools and light cuts. Many clear cast blanks use polyester resin.

Acrylic is a generic name that means it is a plastic. Usually they don't have the colours and patterns you'll find small batch casters making with polyester resins but are easier to turn because they are not as hard or brittle. They are the ones you should play with as they are usually cheaper, readily available and a vendors stock item, easier to turn and consistent from batch to batch. Sharp tools and light cuts yield long ribbon shavings that unless sucked away while turned, wrap around everything. You will get good at removing the ribbons.

Go have fun.

Pete
Pete thanks that’s exactly what I was looking for! Acrylic it is then 😀👍
Alex

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).