• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Andalusite Acrylic and Black Ebonite Fountain Pen (and a loaf of bread)

OscarHallStudios

First Name
Oscar
Cause like, why not, eh?

Baked some scotch bonnet, sage and sesame seed bread today. Also made a pen out of this wonderful andalusite acrylic from Vince at the turners workshop, and some black ebonite for the finials from beaufort ink, only chose ebonite as it was the only material I had where the colour went well with the acrylic. Didn't add a clip because I didn't have one that went well with it and, frankly, I felt a bit lazy. Same goes for bands. A nice and simple pen! It is relatively small at 125mm capped and posts deeply and securely to be a very comfortable size, posted is 150mm. Designed to fit only a sport-size converter, not a full size one. Any advice on removing the micro scratches around the pen would be much appreciated. Maybe I just need to spend more time polishing it in circles...money_shot.jpgcapped.jpgposted.jpgwide.jpga_sweet_loaf_affair.jpg

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
Cause like, why not, eh?

Baked some scotch bonnet, sage and sesame seed bread today. Also made a pen out of this wonderful andalusite acrylic from Vince at the turners workshop, and some black ebonite for the finials from beaufort ink, only chose ebonite as it was the only material I had where the colour went well with the acrylic. Didn't add a clip because I didn't have one that went well with it and, frankly, I felt a bit lazy. Same goes for bands. A nice and simple pen! It is relatively small at 125mm capped and posts deeply and securely to be a very comfortable size, posted is 150mm. Designed to fit only a sport-size converter, not a full size one. Any advice on removing the micro scratches around the pen would be much appreciated. Maybe I just need to spend more time polishing it in circles...View attachment 51891View attachment 51892View attachment 51893View attachment 51894View attachment 51890
More lateral sanding to get rid of the scratches

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Very nice, lovely colour...
As Bammer has said when you sand, sand along the blank too....Radially sand like normal, but before you change grit turn the lathe off and sand along your blank manually turning your lathe. This will get rid of any high spots and stop the ring marks, also wipe the bank to remove any trace of abrasive/ grit before moving to the next grade....it doesn't take any extra time as your finish will improve quicker :banana: :banana:

OscarHallStudios

First Name
Oscar
Very nice, lovely colour...
As Bammer has said when you sand, sand along the blank too....Radially sand like normal, but before you change grit turn the lathe off and sand along your blank manually turning your lathe. This will get rid of any high spots and stop the ring marks, also wipe the bank to remove any trace of abrasive/ grit before moving to the next grade....it doesn't take any extra time as your finish will improve quicker :banana: :banana:
Ah okay, I will try that then. I always did that with wood but thought it wouldn't be as effective on plastic materials. I'll get back once I've had a chance to try that.. cheers

OscarHallStudios

First Name
Oscar
Thanks for the kind comments everyone. I did re-sand / polish and have seen a marked improvement in microscratches. Quite difficult to capture the difference in my poorly taken photographs so you'll have to take my word for it..