• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Blue Maple Burr Fountain Pen

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Hello pen people. Been a little while.

I made this pen a few days ago. It’s stabilised, dyed wood with acrylic liners and accents. The metal rings are sterling silver and the clip is chrome plated steel.

I approached this slightly different to how I usually make them. Following on from a recent conversation on here I made the finials as female threaded (I usually make them make threaded). The clip is rebated but since the wooden sleeves and acrylic liners are separate it was easier to do than if it had been one single piece of acrylic. Basically I just needed the shoulder of the acrylic liner to be slightly shorter than the length of the wooden sleeve, hence giving me the rebate I need for the clip gasket. Then it’s a case of cutting the notch in the wooden sleeve for the clip bar to come through. I hope this makes sense.
I also didn’t glue this pen at all as it’s a prototype and it means I can dissemble it as needed to take measurements for future pens.
Anyway here it is.
Cheers
Ash

IMG_6403.jpegIMG_6407.jpegIMG_6409.jpegIMG_6413.jpegIMG_6395.jpegIMG_6398.jpeg

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Ash, I like that a lot.
The dyed Maple gives the pen an extra dimension that ( I don't find ) resin does.

Commiserations all round re. the rugby results.
Thank Alan.

Yes the rugby was a bit of a disappointment, and I felt for the Irish too. The draw was very one sided and for any team to have to beat SA twice (probably) as well as NZ to win a world cup is a tough ask for any team. Shame as I though they had every chance this time.

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Another beauty - love that! :drool:

I saying nothing about the rugby.... but we could fluke this!!!

Padster
I like a small sporting bet now and then, but one of the reasons I rarely bet on top tier rugby matches (even though I’m obviously an expert 😊) is because you almost never know who’s going to win. So even though they’re not favourites it wouldn’t surprise me at all if England went all the way. It just takes a card/decision/bounce of the ball and it can change everything.

All I can say is Best of Luck!

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
That’s an amazing looking pen Ash, totally understand why it’s a keeper!
If I were a betting man I’d put a couple of quid on the All-Blacks now 🤕

PensFromNo11

First Name
Darren
Cracking pen again Ash and the sort of pen I've been trying to do recently - I've learnt a lot, but only have scrap wood and resin to show for it so far (managed to strip the liner out of the cap - twice and went through the wood shaping the body).

One of the wonderful things Covid left me with 3 years ago was lost memories and I had to be told I was into Rugby. Since then I been fascinated with all the UK & Irish national teams possibly enjoying Scotland more than the others (Im English??), apparently the last international I went too was at Murrayfield.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
That's another wee stunner, I love the actual wood blank mother nature knows how to produce these best... Well done mate :drool:

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Cracking pen again Ash and the sort of pen I've been trying to do recently - I've learnt a lot, but only have scrap wood and resin to show for it so far (managed to strip the liner out of the cap - twice and went through the wood shaping the body).

One of the wonderful things Covid left me with 3 years ago was lost memories and I had to be told I was into Rugby. Since then I been fascinated with all the UK & Irish national teams possibly enjoying Scotland more than the others (Im English??), apparently the last international I went too was at Murrayfield.
Sorry to hear you lost your memory but at least you’re able to rekindle your appreciation for the great game. Now if only you’d been to Cardiff for your last match instead. We need all the support we can get! 👍👍

PensFromNo11

First Name
Darren
Sorry to hear you lost your memory but at least you’re able to rekindle your appreciation for the great game. Now if only you’d been to Cardiff for your last match instead. We need all the support we can get! 👍👍
thanks.
I was definitely shouting for the Dragons on Saturday.
There has been plenty that"s not been so good over last few years, but being able to get fully behind multiple national teams is odd and surprisingly joyful. Its the same with premiership rugby I can just enjoy the games.

Mike Bird

First Name
Mike
Like it a lot you have used the wood well. And the small attention to detail makes it for me.
May I say come on ENGLAND. Forgive me. I married a Cadiff girl 53 years ago.

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Like it a lot you have used the wood well. And the small attention to detail makes it for me.
May I say come on ENGLAND. Forgive me. I married a Cadiff girl 53 years ago.
They were so close, and it’s a shame they didn’t quite get over the line.
However, having married a Welsh girl, I’m sure you feel like a winner every day! 😉😉