• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

bushing material

MikeO

First Name
Michael
Has anyone used corian or aluminium to make bushings. I wanted to try and make some to see how hard/easy it is. Any info gratefully received.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I have some ptfe ones to stop CA sticking.... I can't see them being long lasting and may cause problems with sanding dust residue..... But I am a pessimist not an optomist šŸ˜Ž

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Corian is fine for pens but I wouldnā€™t use it for bushes. It will soon lose itā€™s true diameter when turning & sanding & it would stick to the blank if you used ca as a finish.

monophoto

First Name
Louie
All bushings shrink with use - even steel bushings become smaller due to sanding. So all bushings gradually 'wear out', at least relative to their use as dimensional references.

Delrin, HDPE, corian and similar materials can easily be turned to make bushings for the purpose of mounting blanks for turning - just understand that you need to actually measure the diameter of mating parts and turn the blank to the proper measured diameter.

I've used aluminum for specialty pen-making purposes - mandrels for closed-end pens, etc. It can be easily machined on a wood lathe, especially using carbide tools. But as others have noted, it can leave marks on the finished piece.