• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Cactus Juice Tips n Tricks

hobbymad

Apprentice Member
First Name
Rob
Hey all, thought it would be nice to share some things I've learnt using CJ and hopefully others will share their knowledge too and we can all learn!

1. Degas your juice! Trick we used to use in the lab back when I worked in college. Put your CJ under vacuum with no wood in it and you will likely still see bubbles! Some of this is air, but also more importantly residual water boiling off. I like to run mine for an hour after each stabilising session.
2. Store your CJ in the fridge after activation - this will increase the lifespan to more than 2 years according to manufacturer vs a few months on the shelf.
3. Foil - to use or not to use. I have tried both, and imo without foil, with as little surface contacting the oven grid (blanks stood on end), is the least messy. Of course if you have a ton of blanks, foil is essential to maximise oven space.
4. Get a better oven - my single biggest upgrade to the whole process. You can skimp on the pump - even cheap oil rotary single stage pumps will pull a good vacuum in small pots. But the ol' toaster oven, besides being unpredictable and potentially dangerous overnight (mine once went to 200C+ for no apparent reason!) just doesn't provide a nice stable temperature for drying wood (need 104C/220F) or curing resin (95C/200F). I got a lab oven (€!/$/£! :-O), I bought new but you can likely find one used as well for a better price. Just be sure it has a good and easy to adjust thermostat, and that it can go below 100C - some of them are meant for drying only so won't go lower in temp.

apw43

First Name
Andy
Your right about the temps on toaster ovens being unpredictable, I use an Ink Bird temperature controller on my toaster oven, works a treat

Heykid41

First Name
Scott
I learned a very valuable (co$tly) lesson. My vacuum pump was too close to the Cactus Juice cylinder i was using to stabilize. It generated too much heat and that buggered the cylinder, which I had to replace. I just never anticipated it happening.

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
I learned a very valuable (co$tly) lesson. My vacuum pump was too close to the Cactus Juice cylinder i was using to stabilize. It generated too much heat and that buggered the cylinder, which I had to replace. I just never anticipated it happening.
I'm a little puzzled by that.

Drawing the vacuum for a short distance shouldn't make any difference, might even be better as you wouldn't have to remove the air from a long line too. Now if being close meant that the vapours coming off the wood and juice went through the pump and affected the piston rings by washing off the oil off them I could understand. Do you have a water trap in the line between the vacuum chamber and the pump to remove the vapours? So what actually happened?

Pete

Heykid41

First Name
Scott
I'm a little puzzled by that.

Drawing the vacuum for a short distance shouldn't make any difference, might even be better as you wouldn't have to remove the air from a long line too. Now if being close meant that the vapours coming off the wood and juice went through the pump and affected the piston rings by washing off the oil off them I could understand. Do you have a water trap in the line between the vacuum chamber and the pump to remove the vapours? So what actually happened?

Pete
It was the heat generated by the pump that caused the Cactus Juice to start to set… and set it did! the pump was too close to the vacuum chamber.