• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

End grain Black Palmira

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Brilliant!

Gouge selection, grinding profiles and sharpening techniques are such a frequent and big topic on these forums, then you come along with this. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Love it.

Cheers
Ash

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
Looks good but how do you rub the bevel when turning?

Pete
Pete, I followed George Valentine's method which he wrote about on IAP.

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
I remember George and hope he is okay, not having heard from him in years. I have a number of pen blanks he was selling along with some nice bowl and peppermill blanks of olive. I was just fooling with you about rubbing the bevel as that is how one uses gouges and skews to control the tool. Guess the joke wasn't all that good. Certainly not as good as your segmented blank.

Pete

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
I remember George and hope he is okay, not having heard from him in years. I have a number of pen blanks he was selling along with some nice bowl and peppermill blanks of olive. I was just fooling with you about rubbing the bevel as that is how one uses gouges and skews to control the tool. Guess the joke wasn't all that good. Certainly not as good as your segmented blank.

Pete
I still have some Australian timbers that I got from George before Brexit messed everything up.
And BTW I have never rubbed my bevel as I started with carbide tools before I would graduate to gouges and skews. ( I got your joke )
I recently purchased some 'proper ' woodturning tools but havent put my hand in my pocket for a sharpening system yet.