• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Getting into casting

Gadget-UK

Graduate Member
First Name
Colin
I have been casting for a number of years now and have more casting equipment than turning equipment :noway1:
(Though dont tell the Mrs.....)

Agree with most of the above, Clear Cast is a great resin BUT as has been said it goes soft during the sanding process, I use it for Picture Pens as it doesn't mess with the picture (Paper & Ink) where some others love to eat it during the casting process.
Also experiment with leaving the resin for a little while (watch the temp) as you will get much better colour deffinition and they won't bleed into each other (as per your pictures above).

Some of Mine....

These were all Pictures then Clear Cast
64b24eea-5d6b-4869-9105-1416acafc057.jpg

IMG_2699.JPEG

Have Fun :thumbs:

Attachments

• c9072b2d-4783-47ff-9744-cc69792848d9.jpg
    c9072b2d-4783-47ff-9744-cc69792848d9.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 5

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
I have a modified pressure pot sorted out now it will be intrusting to see what the difference is in the cast blanks.

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
I need help this pen Blank thing is not going to plan.
We are using Alumilite Clear. We are using Alumilite Micra powders. All of the last eight blanks cast have turned out OK except when I turn them you can see the tubes through the epoxy. They have all gone in the bin. How do you achieve a solid colour in the blank.

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
I am also confused as info I am reading on forums etc tell me Alumilte Clear is Polyurethane. But when you go to the sellers Web site to buy it they advertise it for sale as an Epoxy resin.

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
I am also confused as info I am reading on forums etc tell me Alumilte Clear is Polyurethane. But when you go to the sellers Web site to buy it they advertise it for sale as an Epoxy resin.
I'll answer this one first.
I suspect you are using Alumilite Amazing Clear Cast ......... this is Epoxy

Alumilite Clear and Slow is Polyurethane

I did tell you this in my original reply

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
I need help this pen Blank thing is not going to plan.
We are using Alumilite Clear. We are using Alumilite Micra powders. All of the last eight blanks cast have turned out OK except when I turn them you can see the tubes through the epoxy. They have all gone in the bin. How do you achieve a solid colour in the blank.

Mice will not give you a solid colour, it's a fine powder which is going into a clear liquid.

You need to use it in conjunction with liquid dyes.

The dyes will allow a solid colour and you can add mica.

The best thing to do if you want to use tubes is to create a solid blank, drill the blank and then you can paint the hole before gluing the tube in.

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
How are things going? I have also struggled with getting an opaque colour and come to the conclusion; I need to paint the tube first. I’ll,let you know how / if that works out.

Dont be too careful with the size of hole you make in the top of the alum8nite dye bottle or , unlike me ,don’t squeeze it too hard 🤬 Everything was orange that day.

Be aware that the pressure pot, with a home made lid and vacuum pump can work really well as a vaccum pot for impregnating things like pine cones and , soft spalted wood that would otherwise be unworkable. You then need a small oven to cure the stickfast resin or cactus juice but it’s a whole new world. By the way DONT even consider curing in the household oven , the smell is impossible to get rid of quickly . I read up on it , was warned and didn’t try it as matricide could be long and painful.

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
:thumbs:
I need to order some more resin. Hopefully I will order the right stuff this time. I will also order some liquid pigments this time.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).