• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hi I haven't posted for a long time just thought I would reintroduce myself.

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
Hi all my name is Tom and I live in Northern Ireland but haven't been on the site till I recently got a message saying things you have missed.
Turning now mostly a year and mostly pens. I am envious of the kits and woods on here. But also some off the pens shown on the site. My experience is limited and wouldn't have a clue regarding either a Celtic Cross or segmented pens. I have attached recent pens that I have finished. I am not a fan of CA GLUE as a finish but would love to get a shine similar to a CA finish.
Any help would be appreciated!!
Tom

Attachments

• 20230214_141102.jpg
    20230214_141102.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20230214_141006.jpg
    20230214_141006.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20230123_150339.jpg
    20230123_150339.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 20230124_124241.jpg
    20230124_124241.jpg
    751.2 KB · Views: 7

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
Hi Tom I too am relatively new to pen turning. I don’t like using CA but it’s the only thing I’ve found so far to give that super shiny finish. I’ve tried using melamine laquer recently and that’s been pretty good…certainly cleaner than CA. But still not as good in my humble opinion.

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
I used to use CA glue for segmenting and over a period of time developed breathing problems relating to super glue if ever I use it now I get breathing problems and trouble with my eyes so please be warned and take care

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
I used to use CA glue for segmenting and over a period of time developed breathing problems relating to super glue if ever I use it now I get breathing problems and trouble with my eyes so please be warned and take care
Don't have a clue regarding segmenting so that won't be a problem for me....

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
Hi Tom I too am relatively new to pen turning. I don’t like using CA but it’s the only thing I’ve found so far to give that super shiny finish. I’ve tried using melamine laquer recently and that’s been pretty good…certainly cleaner than CA. But still not as good in my humble opinion.
Last two pens made where to the following....
1. Four coats of sand and sealer.
2. Four coats of Melamine Laquer
3. Pass cabuna wax 3 times and polish
4. Do phase 3 a further 3 or 4 time
5 dry with paper towel and then with a cloth......

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
There is no need for more than two passes with the carnuaba. Subsequent passes will simply melt off the previous one, not build on it. The purpose of a second pass is only if you missed any areas with the first pass.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).