• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

It's 5 from me

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Very nice Mark.

So does this use some sort of kit? I’ve never fully understood how you make these pens from bullet cases.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Hi Ash,
In its basic form YES, a 7mm slimline or streamline... The. 308 (7.62) cases are the same length as the kit tube.... You are replacing the wooden/acrylic jacket with a metal one.
Drill the cartridge case with a 7mm hole(checking first it's fired) then bond in the kit tube(a couple of wraps of masking tape will take up the slack in the cartridge mouth.... Once dry push the kit fittings in.
I go a little further by using real bullet points, these have the lead removed and are a swaged fit with a 2mm hole at the tip. This means you can't use a 7mm tube so I drill a 1/4" hole at the back and push the transmission straight in.
Other cartridges can be done and among them I have done...
223, 243, 270, 303, 308, 30 06, 30 30, 338, 470NE, 500NE and. 50BMG

Attachments

• IMG_20220429_132917.jpg
    IMG_20220429_132917.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 3

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Hi Ash,
In its basic form YES, a 7mm slimline or streamline... The. 308 (7.62) cases are the same length as the kit tube.... You are replacing the wooden/acrylic jacket with a metal one.
Drill the cartridge case with a 7mm hole(checking first it's fired) then bond in the kit tube(a couple of wraps of masking tape will take up the slack in the cartridge mouth.... Once dry push the kit fittings in.
I go a little further by using real bullet points, these have the lead removed and are a swaged fit with a 2mm hole at the tip. This means you can't use a 7mm tube so I drill a 1/4" hole at the back and push the transmission straight in.
Other cartridges can be done and among them I have done...
223, 243, 270, 303, 308, 30 06, 30 30, 338, 470NE, 500NE and. 50BMG
I see. That’s clever, and they do look very impressive. (I like the fact that you have to check they’ve been fired first 😂😂).
Thanks for the explanation mate, and keep up the good work!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).